Cars are marketed on the promise of many different characteristics: practicality, mobility, luxury, social status, or perhaps some sort of vague feeling that you live in another city. Since outright speed seems a bit dangerous, allusions to high performance are often couched in terms such as “Sport” or “GT”, rather than an overt reference to how fast a car goes. But the latter is what we want today: car names that overtly refer to speed.
The Caveats (there are always caveats):
- We are looking for cars named for speediness itself, not just things that are fast. Neither Comet nor Falcon belong in this category, even though those are both speedy things.
- It doesn’t matter if the vehicle itself is fast. I can think of several downright sluggish rides with speedy names.
- Manufacturers’ marques, model names and trim lines are all fair game. Slang and nicknames are not.
- The names of concept cars and prototypes are only allowable if it was an officially-bestowed name by an automotive manufacturer or recognized coachwork/styling house.
- Purpose-built race cars are specifically prohibited.
- Cars, light and heavy trucks, motorcycles are all fair game. Definitely NO airplanes.
Difficulty: Grasshopper, when you can snatch the low-hanging fruit out of my hand, then you will be ready.
How This Works: Read the comments first and don’t post duplicates! Bonus points for adding photos.
Image Source: simoncars.co.uk and pistonheads.com.