The Annual Mecum Spring Classic vehicle auction recently wrapped up and total gross sales exceeded 41 million dollars. The auction lasted 5 days and the Mecum team is reporting a final sell-through rate of 66%.
The Corvette pictured above was owned by Harley J. Earl and crossed the block after someone decided $925,000 was the right price for them. It is definitely a piece of American automotive history, but that is a lot of coin for one car.
Hop the jump for two more vehicle photos and a full list of the top 10 sales.
Mecum’s Original Spring Classic Top 10 Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1963 Harley J. Earl Corvette (Lot S116) at $925,000
2. 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger Convertible 426/425 HP (Lot F225) at $750,000
3. 1966 Shelby Cobra Roadster 427 CI, 4-Speed (Lot F220) at $625,000
4. 1963 Pontiac Tempest Coupe 421 Super Duty (Lot S114.1) at $455,000
5. 1963 Pontiac Tempest Station Wagon 421 Super Duty (Lot S114) at $450,000
6. 1965 Shelby Cobra 289 CSX2291 (Lot S161) at $360,000
7. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Bergen & Johnson (Lot S140) at $305,000
8. 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible (Lot S247) at $280,000
9. 1964 Ford Thunderbolt (Lot S137) at $260,000
10. 1965 Pontiac GTO GeeTO Tiger (Lot S115) at $250,000
Over the course of the five day event, over 30,000 folks got to eyeball some excellent iron. Head over to the Mecum site for more information on this auction, as well as the upcoming lots scheduled to cross the block soon.
My head is still swimming at the thought of a $450,000 station wagon… E63 wagon owners eat your heart out.