Home » Last Call » Currently Reading:

Last Call- Parking Slots Edition

Robert Emslie November 21, 2013 Last Call

Garage

This somewhat mesmerizing photo of a St Louis parking garage in 1953 is reminiscent of the old Automat diners that populated the country during the first half of the last century. The only difference was that here each slot is occupied by a car instead of a huge slab of apple pie.

Last Call indicates the end of Hooniverse’s broadcast day. It’s meant to be an open forum for anyone and anything. Thread jacking is not only accepted, it’s encouraged.

Image source: Imgur

1. longrooffan says:

Rob: That image is an amazing find.

2. JayP2112 says:

Remember my pal who didn't get LeMans or TwoLane?
    He approached me about manual transmissions and how only "2%" of cars were offered with row your own.

I did concede that modern auto trans like the DSG and PDK offer a technically superior capability. I told him of my experience at he track with the BRZ auto that was akin to a video game.

Then we headed down the path of car balance, engine braking, toe-heel, momentum… then I lost him.

Thing is, his toddler son is a gearhead. Proof we are born this way.
    I'll be extending an offer to come out to a track event, strap that carseat into a proper vehicle and let loose on a parade lap.

3. MVEilenstein says:

Pie can't compete with cake.

[youtube -o-u4IwXkbE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-u4IwXkbE youtube]

4. Sjalabais says:

OT – Everytime I drive right behind a modernish car and they clean their windshield, it looks like a rolling steam bath. Wouldn't it be more efficient and proper to design the cleaning process to keep the water on the glass? -15 degree rated washer fluid turns out to be "cheap" this season at 30 NOK / 5 USD for 4 liters, so that's reason enough not to waste the stuff.

• Gean Gigglesworth says:

At least the new S-class sprays the fluid directly from the wiper blades, you don't really even see it. It just cleans the windscreen really well.

• Sjalabais says:

I like! But then again…how much for a wiper replacement?

• topdeadcentre says:

I imagine buying replacement parts at an MB dealership as akin to eating at the kind of restaurant where the menu doesn't have prices, and if you have to ask how much something costs, you can't afford to eat there.

• Sjalabais says:

Not very hard to imagine, unfortunately.

On a side note, I found out I need new brakes all around yesterday. 12700 NOK at Honda, 7-8000 NOK in a shady shop (Bosch & Brembo parts). No doubt as to where I am going to eat.

• Dean Bigglesworth says:

I've ordered my last two sets of disks and pads from here: http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com

EBC is good stuff and even with shipping from Britain it turned out to cost about the same as the cheapest generic rubbish around here… the promo code "scooby58" also worked to get 15% off the total. If the code still works then a set of four disks and a complete set of pads for a 2.0 Honda Stream would be about 1900NOK + shipping, or a few tenners more if you opt for the stickier green stuff pads.

• Sjalabais says:

How is that even possible? That's less than one set of OEM disks without pads. Thanks a lot for the tip! How do I verify EBC's quality claim? It's not in a league with Biltema & Co.?

• Dean Bigglesworth says:

I can only go with what i've experienced and read but I used EBC pads on my mountain bikes disc brakes, and EBC GreenStuff pads are often recommened on forums for someone looking increasing performance and reducing brake dust. I've bought two sets of EBC disks and pads(one set of green, one standard) for my Focus and all have been straight and worked well.

I would never buy Biltema or similar no-namedisks, friends have bought a few and some have vibrated right from the start..

you can read more on the EBC website. http://ebcbrakes.com/

• Sjalabais says:

Good! I am intrigued by price and greenstuff promise. I also hope my mechanic accepts bringalong parts (can't fix the brakes myself).

5. Sjalabais says:

Ah…and great picture, of course. NIce parking jobs, too.

6. topdeadcentre says:

Doot doot doot doot…
    It's time to play the music,
    It's time to light the lights,
    It's time to get things started
    On the Muppet show tonight!