The race is this weekend and we are almost on schedule. Our Park Bench Racing #451 2002 Buick Regal is physically complete and ready-ish to race at the 24 Hours of Lemons Halloween Hooptiefest at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. We’re waiting on tires from our sponsor, BFGoodrich, thank you so SO much, which should be here by Wednesday, and there are about a dozen other minor things, listed below, that need tending to.
Aside from the car, personal safety is an issue that each one us took upon himself. I have a helmet but I don’t have a race suit, race undies, shoes, or gloves. Also, everyone has been telling to get a HANS device, evidently because they care enough about me being alive, or at least not in a vegetative state. But this safety stuff is not cheap.
The basic Lemons-spec safety gear, sans helmet, can be purchased for between $300-$400. A fancier, multi-layered, suit and accessories can easy double that price, and that is still just the starting point of which $1000 can easily be reached. HANS device is a whole other thing, with prices ranging from $600 to $1000. Ouch!
I did the math, because a fool and his money…, and then I googled. In the end I ended up renting a multi-layered suit, shoes, gloves, and a HANS device from racesuitrental.com. The whole thing is $275 + $850 in deposit. I have also purchased a pair of proper socks. I have not made a decision on racing underwear, which is not required, but suggested, with my fancy race suit. I like this renting idea, because if after this race I decide that racing isn’t for me, I won’t have thousandths of dollars worth of stuff sitting around the house.
Hit to the jump to see what else we got left to do, some exciting news, and sponsor update…
Andy working on the bench/spoiler, under which we grew some grass.
Justin Lapriore, of letsmakemedia.com, whose videos you have seen here and here, contacted me about making a documentary video on our 24 Hours of Lemons racing attempt, and Lemons overall. Judging by Justin’s other videos, this is going to be great!
Our fishing pond, with beer cans floating around, and a froggy. Still looking for the “fisherman”
- BFGoodrich is sending us a set of set of g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires. Stay tuned for more details on these tires.
- Turner Motorsport will provide us with some high-temp brake fluid. Thanks guys!
- Anonymous donor and the Hooniverse overlords gave us some cash for race-related expenses and fees. Thanks again!
- Blipshift.com will hook us with some t-shirts! Maybe hoodies too, since it’s gonna be cold!
- Schedule appointment for tire change – Andy
- Get BFG tires and mount Wednesday – Andy
- Get spare parts – Kamil
- Create race day notebook – Andy/Kamil
- Clean and prep car trailer – Justin
- pack tools, spare parts – Andy/Justin
- Mount or secure parking brake – ??
- Acquire and mount skeleton or other Halloween character – ??
- Create a history book for the judges – Justin
- Secure lower radiator hose – Justin
- Acquire and install windshield banner and sponsor stickers – Kamil
- Contact pit crew worker/slave/manager guy – Kamil
- Pit call sign – ??
- Bottle holder and bottle (is it even legal?)
- Judge’s BRIBES!!! – Kamil
- Mount lemons on car
- Replace brake fluid on Friday
- Lists of hotels, gas stations, junk yards, repair shops, restaurants, coffee shops, liquor stores (tax free, baby!), and strip joints!
- Side exit exhaust
- Gauge cluster visor
- Door schemes with drivers’ names