Home » Hooniverse Goes To... »V.I.S.I.T. - Vehicles I Saw In Traffic » Currently Reading:

Hooniverse Goes to Germany – Adenau Street Sightings

adenau_35

Like last year, this August I boarded a plane and eventually landed at the Düsseldorf International Airport. I was then picked up in a humble Renault Clio, and after some time on the motorway found myself on a camping site not too far from the revered Nürburgring.

And this year, too, you will benefit from that: there will be a number of posts documenting what exactly it was that I found there, in and around the Green Hell. It’s such a melting pot of car cultures, all paying worship to the GP-Strecke and the seemingly endlessly entertaining Nordschleife.

adenau_37

adenau_39

Pay attention, for example, to this wildly flared but definitely period Ford Capri. It’s one of my favorite sightings.

That service station in the background, ARAL at the Ring, must get the most varied customers.

adenau_32

A Bonneville also appeared. You wouldn’t perhaps expect to see one in Germany, but here it was.

adenau_23

A Porsche 356 in seemingly perfect condition appeared as well.

adenau_22

But I couldn’t avoid taking a photo of this Alfa Romeo 75, too.

adenau_5

adenau_7

Another Alfa, and an Alfetta at that. Red just suits an Alfa so well.

adenau_16

adenau_15

More red Italian goodness.

adenau_13

DKW was an early Auto Union staple. The four rings give a hint to later developments.

adenau_14

adenau_11

Even a beaten X1/9 gets my attention.

adenau_28

And I always turn my head when a Citroën C6 is seen.

adenau_25

Not to mention a Renault Alpine. Yes, later variants such as this are my favourites.

adenau

Any love for a hardtop Mondial?

adenau_46

adenau_47

Better yet, a first-generation Scirocco GT?

adenau_42

Even better, Ronal Turbos on this Astra wagon?

adenau_9

In general, Adenau can be summed with a Jaguar E-Type parked at a supermarket. It’s just such an eclectic little town, thanks to the motor racing heaven’s presence.

[Images: Copyright 2013 Hooniverse/Antti Kautonen]

1. Eric Rood says:

Maybe it's the black wheels or maybe it's the red-trimmed grill, but that 75 looks so much better than the U.S.-spec Milano.

2. RichardKopf says:

Mein Gott.

I am curious as to why the Scirocco has dealer plates on it.

• Manic_King says:

I noticed that with only couple of pics Antti has done a great job and managed to capture nearly all possible German plate types. Normal-, summer-, dealer-, temporary- and H plate, which I suppose is for "Historical" cars(?). Red-stripe export plate is missing.

3. lilpoindexter says:

In the second pic of the Alfetta, right above the roof in the parking lot of "REWE" there is a red convertible….is that an Alfa too? 8C?

4. Dave says:

The Capri did it for me. I came over all faint after that. Needed a tissue. Have a teeny soft spot for Sciroccos of that era, but you can keep your Prancin' horses & Alfas. Ford man for 40 years!

Come here, my babies. I need a bigger garage. Anti, I think you are now my official procurator. Don't tell my girlfriend, it'll be our little secret.

6. wisc47 says:

Great Gatsby's ghost! That Capri is just one big fender flare!

7. Jay_Ramey says:

Wicked Alfetta, so nice to see one running around.

8. TrueBlue315 says:

I love to see big Ponchos prowling streets other than our own – and that delicious Cat is epic.

9. Norm Murdock says:

Dave want flares? We sell! You buy Capri and add Team Blitz kit! It's easy, then Ford man for 40 years will be happy Ford man. Haha.

10. dukeisduke says:

Oh I love the '62 Bonneville.

• gben44 says:

That is not a Bonneville That is a "62" Grand prix..Ihad that identical car triple black w/8-lug wheels and tri-power(3 carbs)
      1962 was the first year of production

• dukeisduke says:

I should have noticed the Grand Prix emblem on the door. I used to have a '64 GP. Base 389 (code 26K) with a slim jim, a/c, AM radio, and 8-lugs, Alamo Beige with a gold interior.

11. ruckus racing says:

silly question… no photos from on track?! I was there about a month ago, and overnight something odd appeared on the AUDI R8 V10 sign on deadmans curve. someone spray painted, incorrectly I might add, the site for BecauseRaceCar. they put .com, and not .org, like it should be