Home » All Things Hoon » Currently Reading:

West German cars living and dying in Poland

West German cars in Poland

In the past we have showcased many older and interesting that are living and dying in Poland. We had French cars, American cars, a mix of weird cars, and who could forget the amazing classic car rallies? All of those images came as courtesy of of the readers and publishers of two very awesome websites, zlomnik.pl and stadobaranow.pl. Check out these websites, even if just look at the pictures.

These cars, and their conditions,  just fascinate me and it looks like they fascinated you hoons, too. Therefore we shall now continue with the series. Being that we are in Poland, we’ll re-start the series by looking at cars made by the Axis powers: Germany, Japan, and Italy. Because the amount of awesome/crappy/interesting German cars was a bit overwhelming, I split them up into their post-war origins of East and West Germany. Enjoy.

[Source of all images: zlomnik.pl]

1fot04_zps8d19599c

How does that even happen?

1fot07_zpsc52cdaa4

European Ford were manufactured in U.K., Romania, Croatia, Belgium, Turkey, Germany, Spain, and Russia. Because the headquarters are in Germany, I included all Fords here.

1fot14_zps76216e93

1fot22_zpsb9213fcb

1fot27_zps2d4d4ce8

1fot34_zps140f5b57

Opel?

1fot40_zps3c55fc97

1fot41_zps3879326f

1fot46_zps7fc7235e

Is that a Unimog? Awesome ambulance. Picture may have been taken outside of Poland, but who cares.

cla21_zps274fcf13

How is it that this is sold right beside an S-class?

cla23_zps6a56e55f

No plates, it’s probably its final resting place.

cla40_zps37928fb9

No door handles.

cla48_zps706e27d7

Is that a beach chair frame?

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

The Opel looks a lot like a Chevy.

SONY DSC

k02_zps76b16123

Had bad ass potential.

k04_zpsce565ffd

No bad ass potential.

k17_zps6cd7e7ac

The wagon that zigs.

k24_zps48b701a0

Where was this when I was getting married!?

k25_zps6da478afJay (now at Autoweek along with Blake, damn sellouts) reviewed a similar one.

k27_zps87d2c69b

I thought that the Fox name was only a U.S. market thing.

k39_zps7fd360e1

Looks like a hatchback but it’s not a hatchback.

k42_zps0b014755

Oliver’s cousin.

k46_zps8766b0a7

Audi A7.

lat41_zps9717b3b8

miks5004_zps0e9708e8

Them hubbies…

miks5023_zps0328b3ea

E34 – every gangster-wanna-be had one, including me. And I loved it!

miks5031_zps8e84495f

SONY DSC

miks5039_zps91cf468b

Because everyone has a VW bus.

miks5053_zps9316a03a

Rot Bug! Maybe photographed in Germany – don’t matter, cool.

miks5054_zps3b97ebd2

Opel?

SAMSUNG

This should not be this rusted! I have seen a same era S-class in the same condition in U.S.

minor10_zpse5dafa31

minor21_zpsdfc6578c

What’s up with this pig nose?

minor31_zps1577ba46

Hmmm.. Euro bumpers… drool…

minor46_zpsb5074343

FYI, there are rednecks all over the world.

pl10_zps8c539003

Five bucks says that all it needs is some air in tires and it’s good for another million miles.

pl19_zps2ecedd39

Oh baby…

pl39_zps9107e963

Orion, Sirra’s less sexy sister.

pl47_zpsc1b0f59b

Base model Sierra is amazingly unattractive despite being the same damn car.

pl54_zps35093af3

They don’t have T.J. Maxx in Poland, they have T.K. Maxx. Hey, look, a Jeep “Cherokee”!

pv15_zps91ce56b1

Again, not sure if actually German.

rm02_zps5078056e

It looks like a hatchback and this time it is a hatchback!

rm06_zps825eed22

My uncle had one just like that. He drove it from West Germany to Poland with some shitty tractor on the back.

rm12_zps5e9efb8f

rm19_zps86b78997

Two handles on its sliding door!

rm40_zps8d5fa76b

There is a special place in my hearth for two-door longroofs.

rm54_zpsfa7cf875

Not sure what this is…

ry02_zps1f763e47

Ugh, them wheels.

ry40_zps6ed713b8

Nice condition!

ry46_zps46daeeac

ry47_zpsa829b59c

s33_zps3d4dd90c

German-import fire van?

wjb12_zps7f4f3d19

Rust does not discriminate.

wjb36_zps320d8bb4

Another two-door longroof.

wjb41_zps3662fa89

Looks too pretty.

wr17_zpsd03a2693

New and old.

wr40_zpsb41551b0

wr52_zps4bdc465d

1. Alff says:

This redneck admires that Polish redneck's handiwork.

2. Dean Bigglesworth says:

Gold Opel? is a Manta. Mercedes van with two handles is the worst car or van I've ever experienced..

3. muthalovin says:

Another 911 living in a gated community.

4. dukeisduke says:

Wow, lots of awesome cars. "Not sure what this is…" is a BMW 501 or 502. "Again, not sure if actually German." is an early Ford Transit. The red Audi 80 makes me wistful (okay, except for the lousy reliability) for my old Fox.

5. duurtlang_ says:

"I thought that the Fox name was only a U.S. market thing." (on the picture of the VW Fox)

It probably was. I've never seen one, and I live in the Netherlands. This one has a reflector on the side, which is something you don't really see on EU market cars. My guess is that this Fox is an American import. I have no idea why someone would import one though.

6. Rust-MyEnemy says:

Lifted Cortina or Taunus longroof is clearly driven by An Hero.

7. Kris_01 says:

Opel that looks like a Chevy is actually an Opel Ascona – a Euro J-car. Yes, a Cavalier clone.

8. PushrodRWD says:

There are some great cars here. That dark blue Opel is very cool along with the gold manta. It is great to see folks take care of their classics overseas (the beaters are great too). What is the black car with the "SWD" plates? That looks like it would be bad-ass if restored and a small V-8 shoved in there. I've always liked the blocky euro-lights.

9. Sjalabais says:

You just added another ring of cool to "Poland".

10. boxdin says:

"No bad ass potential" Hardly, those Ford Fiestas can be seriously fast and lots of them are modified and raced.

11. dr zero says:

The red Ford hatch looks like a 80s Laser, but is LHD, so I'm getting confused. What actually is it?

12. dead_elvis says:

Too much unfamiliar awesome in one post. Huzzah! But Kamil, is firewood so hard to come by in your neck of the woods that you really have to warm yourself with burning* perfectly innocent 2-door longroofs? You savage!

That not-a-VW-camper is filling me with vast amounts of want.

*a special place in my hearth, for the confused/humor-impaired Hoons

13. TurboBrick says:

Ascona B? And in street legal form? I thought all of them were destroyed / in process of being destroyed in Swedish regional level rally events.

What is that redneck machine, Taunus wagon body on a Landcruiser frame?

14. rpiereck says:

The Fox is Brazilian designed and made, so not much of a West German car beyond the brand name. The Fox name was sold only in the US and Canada, so the one you see was imported from North America. In Brazil, where the car is from, it was named the Volkswagen Voyage.

15. JayHova says:

" Not sure what this is…"
    That's a BMW 501 V8 limousine.

16. Leo says:

Is that a beach chair frame?………Bike rack mate.

17. Benni says:

i would love to know more about this car;

it looks like some of the mazda 323 derivates sold under ford brand in australia and south africa – the interesting bit is, that this car is LHD…very interesting!

18. Brett says:

See my comments above. It definitely seems to be a KA Laser. Weird!

19. Maramessi8614 says:

It's a Mazda based Ford done in Asia for Australia, NZ and ZA. Some of them were in Argentina as well during 1981-83, remember seeing these when I was a kid!