Home » All Things Hoon »For Sale » Currently Reading:

Fastback Friday: World’s Nicest ’82 Capri Up For Sale

Capri

Note: The claim in the title of this post is based on thousands tens of hours of research in this area. If you want to pick nits, perhaps it should read, “World’s Nicest 1982 Capri RS 5.0 4-Speed Is Up For Sale”. The point is, this thing is sexy sweet and you need it. You may not have even known that you needed a Capri RS. Well, now you do.

Click through for more of the best beige you’ve ever seen.

Capri

Mercury’s version of the Fox platform Mustang came out in the same year as Ford’s.  The Mustang sold very well in 1982, with 130,000 units sold.  The Capri certainly didn’t keep pace, but still sold a respectable 59,000 units.  Of those, only 8.800 had the RS option.  Most of those are (let’s face it, they were built in 1982) long gone now.

Capri

This particular example, while being an alarmingly tan shade of beige, has some great options.  A manual transmission is right at the top of the list.  The RS package, (which included sweet “RS” stickers on the front fender), a 5.0 engine, a removable sunroof, and of course, a hatchback all add to the reasons to buy this car.

Further, the seller claims that it only has an original 45,000 miles on the clock. If that claim is true, the $5000 ask seems downright reasonable.  Click here for the ad.

Capri

(For the record, Hooniverse realizes that Fox platform FoMoCo products have a huge following and that somewhere out there, someone is muttering to himself about how this isn’t really the nicest example of an ’82 Capri.  Whoever you are, you are wrong.)

Scott Ith is an Associate Editor with Hooniverse.com, but he also contributes to his own site NeedThatCar.com.  Head over there for more hooniganism.

1. julkinen says:

I need that car.

2. danleym says:

I am currently looking for a new car. Maybe. Probably. I'll know for sure next week when the mechanic lets me know if I am.

$5,000 is my budget.

I do like Capris, even more so with a 5.0 and a stick.

On the down side, this is in Idaho, and I am in St. Louis. Also, I would get really tired of correcting people and telling them it's not a Mustang. I have to tell enough people that my Blazer isn't a Bronco, and they're not even close.

3. Twilight Sentinel says:

As a bonus, doesn't this car have its horn "on the cob?"

4. boostedlegowgn says:

That car is the color Ken's junk would be, if he had any. Yeesh.

5. stigshift says:

Toyota should buy that car as a reference for beigeness. Love the car, hate the (lack of) color scheme.

6. wisc47 says:

Damn, that's some nice Capri. The color looks like what you'd find on a prosthetic limb, though.

7. JayP2112 says:

My tax refund…
    I'm never getting out of debt.

8. Fritzo says:

So what's the story on Capris from this era, were they rebadged Mustangs or were the Mustangs rebadged Carpis?

I had an 84 Mustang GT with the 5.0 in it and it was one of the worst cars I've ever owned. The valve covers had a different expansion rate than the engine, so you had to put valve cover gaskets on it every 10K miles. It also had the world's most complicated vacuum system that even the dealership couldn't figure out when it started having vacuum problems.

9. vroomsocko says:

Buddy in High School had a '84 black bubble hatch 5.0 Capri with a stick, damn nice car. It surprised many IROC-Z's of the day.

10. Andy says:

I had the Mustang version of this car in high school. Still one of my favorite cars. It could lay rubber pretty well, but the TRX rubber on the Tri-star wheels broke that bad habit.

11. boxdin says:

This car is missing the bubble rear hatch glass and lip spoiler at the bottom. Its been replaced w a mustang hatch w mustang spoiler.
    A buddy has an 84 or 85 w the bubble glass. Years ago it was broken while parked and I remember the tab for that bubble glass was 2800 bucks !
    I'm surprised all of you guys missed this.

12. boxdin says:

This is the hatch is should have. Or is it a Mustang w Capri trim????

• Searcher says:

The 79 to 86 Capri is a moderate reskin of the 79-86 Mustang. The flat hatch is from 79-82, while the bubbleback is 83-86. Fox chassis Capris ended in 86.