Home » Hoonivercinema » Currently Reading:

Roadside Attractions

Robert Emslie January 22, 2013 Hoonivercinema

flipper

You’ve seen them no doubt, minimum wage earners working the street corners and strip mall sidewalks, drawing attention to amazing deals on condominiums, no-contract cell phones, and two-for-one pizza deals. Their tool of the trade? A simple and unmissable slab of cardboard that they masterfully spin and flip with abandon. It’s pure entertainment and spotting one makes any drive memorable.

No one works as hard for the money than the flipper in this video, and showing the dedication to his art  he even enlists a dubstepping friend to help drop the bass along with the sign. Check out the mad sidewalk skillz after the jump.

YouTube Preview Image

Source: [YouTube]

1. MVEilenstein says:

Who's the boom king?

[youtube JT5AQIlmM0I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5AQIlmM0I youtube]

2. P161911 says:

Whenever I see somebody flipping and spinning one of those signs, I wonder what they are supposed to be advertising. The sign is usually moving to fast for me to read it as I drive by.

3. Sjalabais says:

Not too long ago I could have said that I'm happy we don't have to pay pittances to people so they can be living signs in Europe. But our politicians and banks worked hard on making that possible.

Sorry for the unhoonish rant. But this guy is good, obviously.

4. Dean Bigglesworth says:

The tiny school bus in the background is hilarious.

5. Mad_Science says:

I've never, ever understood how this is worth doing.

There's no way a sign flipper at like $10/hr (sometimes more) is driving their cost (payroll taxes, insurance, etc) worth of business to your store. Well, definitely not more than a $50 (one time cost) post.

…particularly when they're moving the sign around a bunch and I can't see it.

• P161911 says:

I think most of them make $50-$75/day (I found one on Craigslist for $65/day). I'm sure they are paid as casual labor/independent contractors on a 1099. No payroll taxes, insurance, etc.

6. Alff says:

I see Marty and Moog have continued to find work in the entertainment industry.

Minimum wage is a hard way to go.

8. Mad_Hungarian says:

OK, what is really going on here, with the name of the business or whatever duct taped over on both sides of the sign.

(I can't see how that could have been done digitally, but maybe someone out there knows otherwise)

• Syrax says:

It can be done digitally if you have the time, and much much money. But in this case it's just taped cause the main attraction here is his MAD SKILLZ!!11!!!!