Home » Car Shows »Detroit Auto Show » Currently Reading:

Detroit 2013 – The most interesting car at the show

Toyota 2000GT NAIAS 2013

Hey all, I’m in Detroit for some sort of car show. So far, I’ve only seen a few things though, and, disappointingly, none of them have been roving gangs of Robocops. One thing I did see, however, is very cool and I snapped a few pics for you real quickly.

This is a Toyota 2000GT, and it’s electric (boogie woogie woogie). Yes, the wheels don’t work, but everything else about the car is rather entertaining. See for yourself after the break. Also, sound off in the comments with cars you want me to try and grab photos of, thanks!

Toyota 2000GT NAIAS 2013 back

Toyota 2000GT NAIAS 2013 front

Toyota 2000GT NAIAS 2013 hood

Toyota 2000GT NAIAS 2013 interior

Toyota 2000GT NAIAS 2013 rear

1. Scandinavian Flick says:

I really, really hope that's a kit car… I mean, it's cool and all, but they only made about 300 of these…

Edit: Fuck… http://green.autoblog.com/2012/07/14/does-the-toy

2. Devin says:

Going by the NAIAS site there doesn't seem to be any weird fringe manufacturers there.

The fringe are the best.

3. Preludacris says:

Better big wheels to clear big (regenerative?) brakes than big brakes to fill big wheels, I suppose.

4. oldcarjunkie says:

Classic cars are cool, electric car conversions are cool but hacking up an uber rare sports is not. They should have used a 240Z or something.

Oh and neon green in the interior? Worse than the wheels for decade clash.

5. muthalovin says:

Jeff, if they have an NSX there, please take a picture. Thanks.

Also, maybe if they have a Raptor as well: I really need a new one for my avatar.

6. Rust-MyEnemy says:

Well, at least they haven't robbed it of its charismatic exhaust note. They did what now?

Hmm. I consider myself as keen on preserving our natural environment as the next guy. But disemboweling 2000GTs is not the way to go about making a change.

7. mr. mzs zsm msz esq says:

So if the new Corvette's back opens somehow a photo of how would be nice. I imagine it's a real deal breaker.

8. dukeisduke says:

The people responsible for butchering that car should be hanged.

• Joe_Btfsplk says:

Amen…. Hopefully, it will show up on eBay at some future date, along with the original parts to make it right again.

9. kevnasty says:

It looks like they took the wheels off of an Rx7 Spirit R

10. Maymar says:

Apparently, it's been set up so it can be converted back to gas power down the line. Couple that with the 30hp boost it got (admittedly, probably with a weight penalty), and I approve.

If nothing else, if they're successful with the modularity of the powertrains, it shows that classic cars could be very easily retrofitted to whatever future we end up with.

11. And this, friends, is how you take one of the most beautiful cars ever built, and make it hideous. Shameful.

12. joedunlap says:

Cool? This isnt cool. This is supremely STUPID! These A******* deserve to be hung by the 'nads with 00 uninsulated battery cables, connected to the batteries they stuffed into this classic. No, dont ask me how I REALLY feel about it. S***H***s!

13. BobWellington says:

My God, such a beautiful body…ruined. When are we going to get cars designed like that again?

14. Andy says:

Wow. That's awesome. Now I want to find whoever did this to a 2000GT, insert a glass rod up his urethra, and then smash it with a sledgehammer.

15. danleym says:

Everything about messing with a one of 300 car has been said, so I won't repeat it. But is anyone else tired of seeing green used for a lot of EVs? I mean, I'm pretty sure we all know why they chose to use green. How about be a little more original? I dunno, maybe I'm just sick of the word green being used for every tiny little supposedly planet saving thing out there.

16. Jeff_Glucker says:

I know it's sacrilege. I agree with everyone, but it was still cool seeing a 2000GT right near the press room.

17. salguod says:

If this is the coolest thing at the show, I'm canceling my trip now. Awful, shameful, & ugly. They stripped this car of all it's cool.

• mr. mzs zsm msz esq says:

There's a doorless Copen. Here at the Chicago show they have a few sections with older cars plus the army vehicles, those are pretty neat too.

18. McQueen says:

I'm all for this car , at least it won't spend the rest of its days in a controlled environment never seeing the light of day again