Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale » Currently Reading:

Weekend Edition – A 1988 Bentley Turbo R, now classified as an Antique!

Jim Brennan January 12, 2013 eBay Insanity, For Sale

image

This weekend, I’m bringing you a series of posts about cars from 1988, which are now classified as antiques according to the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA). Cars and Trucks from the 1988 model year are now 25 years old (just shoot me please…) and can now participate in AACA Shows and events, right next to the other antiques like Packard and Pierce Arrow. I am also performing an expirement this weekend, in which I am trying to produce content using an I-Pad, since my laptop burst into flames yesterday (and it ain’t easy trying to write on an I-Pad) so enjoy…

image

The Bentley Mark is assured at becoming a collectible when it ages, and while the 1988 model year Bentley is rather forgettable in the styling department (at least compared to the current models) this particular Bentley is a desirable Turbo R model.

The dealer listing this Bentley states that the mileage, which reads 30,878 is accurate, and that the service history of this car is up to date. This is a one owner car, has never been smoked in, and includes all the manuals. Graphite is not a color I would expect on a car like this, but what the hell do I know.

image

The starting bid is $16,000, with a Buy-it-Now pricetag of almost $24,000. Original list on this Bentley was approaching the $100,000 threshold, so this might be a great buy, or not. Tell me what you think of this car after taking a look at the listing here: 1988 Bentley Eight Turbo-R

1. petegaines says:

And if the radio craps out, you can just switch it with a good unit from an '88 Park Avenue!

2. Maxichamp says:

I went to an independent Bentley/Rolls shop recently to ask about Turbo Rs. The owner said it's worth it to pay an extra $10,000 to $20,000 for a meticulously maintained one. Don't even try to save a few bucks on the purchase price. Sounded ominous.

But yeah, this is definitely a sedan I covet. It starred in Less Than Zero and I've been in love with it ever since. I'll take mine in red please.

3. buzzboy7 says:

"Forgettable in the styling department"
    Wha?! Just a beautiful big sedan. So chunky and slab sided. I adore it.

Photos don't do justice to the scale of these things, they're just enormous. Last of the locomotives.

5. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

While I still want, very much, a Turbo R…I'd purchase it only if I can also purchase fuel at the model year's cost.

I.e., 1988 gasoline prices.

A fleet of 30 of these could support OPEC, by themselves.

Still want one.

• OA5599 says:

I want a Turbo R, too. Fuel cost doesn't scare me too much, since I'm used to driving guzzlers and don't log too many miles on an annual basis. Maintenance and repair costs are my big fear. I'm pretty sure these don't fill the local self-serve junkyards.

6. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

Yeah, if I had a shorter commute, which is currently 30 miles, I'd not mind it as much. I've owned multiple 8-10 MPG vehicles in the past, so it'd not be a shock.

This kinda calls to me, though, if for nothing else, just to take a look-see. I'm not a fan of the exterior color, though.

7. Weren't these "Antique" when they were sold brand new back in 1988?