Home » Hoonivercinema » Currently Reading:

Hoonivercinema- Monday Music Video

Robert Emslie January 7, 2013 Hoonivercinema

MIA BAD GIRLS

Maya Arulpragasam, aka M.I.A., is a British singer who is no stranger to controversy, having flipped the bird during last year’s Super Bowl half-time show. Here she is giving props to bad girls – the kind you don’t take home to mo-ther – while hanging out of an E36 rocking the hagwalah.

Her music is derivative, and the deadpan delivery here deserves giggles, but the car action in this Morocco-shot Romain Gavras-directed video remains wicked cool and makes you wish the Middle East was a good bit closer, and not just for the gas prices. Live fast, die young- bad girls do it well after the jump.

;

M.I.A, Bad Girls from ROMAIN-GAVRAS on Vimeo.

;

;

Source: [Vimeo]

1. Devin says:

Not going to lie to you, I generally like M.I.A., and I like this video and song.

Also, Romain Gavras' father, Costa-Gavras, made one of the movies I put in my top movies ever list, Z.

2. Matt says:

E36, not E34.

3. Rust-MyEnemy says:

Put me down as an M.I.A fan too, but only her first two albums. The derivativeness came with that difficult third. But even that has its moments.

• pj134 says:

Santigold is a slightly less derivativey cut of a similar cloth to MIA in my book.

Plus she's from my neck of the woods, which is always kind of cool. I saw her at the Made in America concert and while it was probably the weird part of the show you could tell the band as a whole had talent.

• Rust-MyEnemy says:

She played Glastonbury last year and made a pretty good case for herself. Unfortunately there were quite a few younguns in the crowd, meaning she's fashionable. Dangerous for your music, becoming fashionable….

• dculberson says:

Santigold is totally great. I found out about her because of the track she did with David Byrne on the Imelda Marcos story album. Totally great song and it led to me purchasing her albums as they come out. Good stuff.

4. lilpoindexter says:

Maybe three years ago a friend told me about her, and I heard some song with the sanford and son theme..but I didn't get it.

5. Tanshanomi says: