Home » Last Call » Currently Reading:

Last Call- Roll Over Beetho-van Edition

Robert Emslie December 21, 2012 Last Call

Bach Off

You’ll have to be careful how you conduct yourself driving behind this radio station van as they obviously find nothing symphony about tailgating.

Image: [Imgur]

1. Alff says:

They keep track of tailgaters. You don't want to make that Liszt.

2. devgchr says:

I've seen this guy before, I was Chopin at the bit just to get past him.

Verdi funny, guys. The station says 101, but I'm not sure that van can back it up. Money says not in the quarter.

Requim? I hardly even knew him!

4. dukeisduke says:

One of my favorite radio stations. My voice used to be on one of their ads, when they first started broadcasting on the Internet.

5. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

So the Dallas classical station needs a newer van, eh?

I'll gladly donate one when I can.

I'm quite glad they're still around.

I believe they're the only "W" station on the radio in this area, now.

• dukeisduke says:

They date back to 1920 (through their AM station), and are still owned by the City of Dallas (although they've floated the idea of selling the station several times over the years). There's at least one more W station still around here, WBAP 820.

• C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

I forgot about them!

570 used to be WFAA, I thnk, back in the 70's & early 80's.

I'm quite happy to see WRR is still around, 'cause in this environment, it has defied all odds.

• dukeisduke says:

Yep, 570 used to be WFAA. Their old studios on top of the Santa Fe Building downtown (from the '20s to the '40s) are still there, and you can read the call letters painted on it, in Bing Maps Bird's Eye View.

• K5ING says:

I was going to comment on WRR's past but you beat me to it.

More tidbits…they are the oldest radio station in Texas and the second oldest in the US, behind KDKA. They signed on in 1920 (the AM part) to dispatch police calls to the Dallas PD, and played music between calls. WRR-FM signed on in 1948, which makes it one of the oldest FM stations in the country.

I think it's still the only city owned commercial station in the country (might be wrong on that, however).

• danleym says:

I was Wagner-ing where they were from. Thanks!

• Alcology says:

Maybe they should get this van as shown on boingboing:
      [youtube 8XvjVvFdMIY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XvjVvFdMIY youtube]

Everything ok back there? No weekend posts! I'm watching some dogs for a friend this week and one is a 215lb bull mastiff that sounds like a harley when he's sniffing around.

6. RichardKopf says:

These puns are so off bass.

7. OA5599 says:

It looks like it has a lowered stance to make it Handel a little better.

I bet the guys who use it to haul gear for the station are glad the composer wasn't named Ludwig subcompact Beethoven.

It's parked on the side of the road. I hope nothing Baroque on it.

The station seems to not favor 20th century composers, as indicated by the lack of door Glass.

8. Vavon says:

That Beetho-Van is absolutely Brah-ms!

9. texlenin says:

Rothflmao! Oh, you guys are great! Love to see one of my fav freqs get some respect. The
    English guy who does announcements and some dj'ing used to work deep nights at 92.5
    KZPS……