Home » All Things Hoon »Quick Shifts »Terrible Ideas » Currently Reading:

Quick Shift – Fiat 500 on Snow Chains

Unless this modest-looking Fiat 500 photographed by an unknown photographer in Italy is in fact a RWD test mule featuring Chrysler DNA under the mouse-grey skin, there are a few lessons to be learned on which wheels snow chains are best fitted on a small Fiat hatchback.

[Source: Quattroruote.it]

1. longrooffan says:

Still having a deep belly laugh on this one….

2. IronBallsMcG says:

Back in the late '80's I put chains on the front only of my 4wd Blazer for tail wagging fun.

3. carter says:

All I'm seeing is "Craftsman tractor". Where's the 18HP sticker on the side and some wheel weights?

4. Andrew says:

Hey, why not? I bet this thing does pretty good with chains.

5. wisc47 says:

Kind of reminds me of all the guys out there who modify their FWD cars with a huge rear spoiler. Not really effective.

• Thrashy says:

Off-topic, but this myth really, REALLY needs to die. Wings are most immediately helpful in lateral acceleration, where the driven wheels make little difference.

This doesn't justify sticking the flap assembly off an Airbus onto the trunklid of a 110hp Honda and "drag-racing" down Main Street, though.

• Maymar says:

True, but then FWD cars are far, far less prone to the sort of sideways shenanigans large wings are supposed to quell.

6. TurboBrick says:

"Yeah, I'm against studded snow tires because they're too rough on the road surfaces and that I'm allergic to all that dust"

7. bhtooefr says:

Hey, the original ones were rear-engine, RWD…

8. Kogashiwa says:

Someone REALLY doesn't like oversteer.

9. Mad_Hungarian says:

I recall that back in the late 60's and early 70's you would see this with Eldorados and Toronados. It was a bit more understandable back then because people had little experience with FWD cars.

Looks like the FWD is doing its job just fine.

11. Devin says:

Once upon a time I worked in a grocery store, taking bags out to cars. Once, in mid-winter, I did this for a lady who had some big sandbags in the back of her Neon. I asked why, she said it was to have weight on the drive wheels. But your car is front wheel drive, I said. "So that's why it doesn't work." she answered.

12. jeepjunkie says:

While readng a TSB on the 2009 Cadillac's wiring harness for the windshield washer heater, I came across another TSB instructing new owners of Cadillac on how to drive their car in the snow. It seems the majority of new Cadillac owners have never owned a rear wheel drive car.One of the instructions was to NOT install tire chains on the front wheels. Only in America !!!

I guess I'm going to have to do all this myself:[youtube 8aeYH31JwM8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeYH31JwM8 youtube]

14. BobWellington says:

There ought to be a test you have to take about the car you're buying before you buy that car. Is this car 2WD (FWD or RWD), 4WD, AWD? How many cylinders does this car have? Is it NA or FI? How many gears does it have, or does it have a CVT? People should know these things when they are making such an expensive investment.