Home » Hooniversal Car of the Year » Currently Reading:

HCOTY 2012 Nominee: The Lockheed Lakester

Back in February, you may remember a post dedicated to this beautiful “lakester” that I saw ride into an Atlanta-area car show on the back of an also beautiful Ford C500 flatbed. Referred to as either “Wing Tank Lakester” or “Lockheed Lakester”, this car was hand-built by Eddie’s Rods and Custom from an external fuel tank that was mounted on the wing tips of a Lockheed Super Constellation. In the space that used to hold 700 gallons of aviation grade fuel, there is a  turbocharged HEMI 4-cylinder, space for two, and several neat details that automotive and aviation enthusiasts alike can appreciate. And did I mention it was pretty?

Bottom line is this car managed to brighten up everyone’s day on a dreary Sunday morning just by being there on the back of a [pretty] flatbed, and for that reason, it’s earned this hoon’s nomination for the 2012 Hooniverse Car of the Year.

For more photos and information, check out my February post and the official Eddie’s Rods and Custom website where they have also documented the build.

1. Irishzombieman says:

I love fuel tank lakesters, love this particular one quite a lot, and while I'd love to build one, the cost and availability of old-school tear-drop shaped drop tanks is insane. If I ever do get to it, I shall do a car similar to this, but with a cedar stripped body, like a canoe.

• Batshitbox says:

Brilliant! "Bonneville Birch Bark Bomber!" baby! Blown, bonkers and Bias Ply'd!

Actually you may be onto something with that canoe tip; Just get a pair of Grumman 17' war canoes and weld them together clamshell style. Pow, you're just a chassis and motor away from… well, you won't get the "die young and good looking corpse" part with that setup, but you'll make it up in "live fast".

• Irishzombieman says:

The canoes! That is a frickin' awesome idea! Frightening, terrifying but aaaaaaaawesome!

Your alliterative first line may've just pushed me over the edge. Where'd I leave the graph paper. . . .

2. Stu_Rock says:

The car's neat, but I'd nominate the hauler.

3. discontinuuity says:

Any idea what engine it has? A search for "1.8 liter hemi" turned up the Toyota 3T-C.

4. cruisintime says:

That is the coolest combination ever. That lakester is just so well done.

5. Tanshanomi says:

Is the lakester street legal?