Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale »Weekend Edition » Currently Reading:

Weekend Edition – Four Iconic Diesel Mercedes-Benz Sedans on eBay

When it comes to Diesel Powered Sedans, Mercedes-Benz is the first car company that comes to mind, and why not… They have built spectacular diesel engines that seem to go on forever, and installed them into very stout yet elegant sedans that have been described as bank vaults. Today, vintage Diesel Powered Mercedes-Benz automobiles are highly sought after because of their longevity, and because they are adaptable to the conversion process that makes them run on “veggie-oil” bio-diesel. So which one of these four Benz Diesels would you want?

Here is a magnificent 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D with under 60,000 miles. According to the listing:

Own a part of Mercedes Benz History. Up for sale one of the nicest 240D’s in existence. It is with great disappointment I am selling this car, as it truly is an amazing car; however, family commitments are causing me to part with it. It has less than 59,000 original miles and I guarantee you will not find a cleaner running Mercedes diesel.

About the car, this car has a great history and was part of a three part video by Mercedes Benz TV, links attached. The car was picked up and restored by a gentleman named JG Francis, who has been recognized for his restorations by Mercedes Benz. Attached is a link to his website.

If you would like to know more about Mr. Francis, please Google — Mercedes Motoring, JG Francis – He has been the feature of several Mercedes-Benz produced documentaries, which focused on the quality of his restorations and lifestyle with Mercedes-Benz.

After he located the vehicle, he drove the car from Alaska to LA, where he spends 6 to 8 weeks restoring the car piece by piece ensuring it is in tip top shape. I still have the original Alaska license plate. The list is exhaustive, but it has new tires and Bilstein suspension, but the list is too exhaustive. It has an original Becker radio, but with external I-Pod hook up so you can listen to Pandora, etc. Very neat feature of the car. I personally picked up the car in LA and drove it back to Tacoma, WA. The car runs flawlessly on the open road and is true pleasure to drive. I just spent $375.00 on an oil change and restoring the blower motor. It also has new coco mats. It does need a driver’s side map pocket, but I may be able to get the prior to sale.

With over a day to go until the auction ends, the top bid so far is $16,000. The reserve has been covered, so this car will be sold after the auction. Isn’t this car amazing? Is it worth the current bid? You can answer these questions and more after you see the listing here: 1976 Mercedes-Benz W114 240D Diesel

This is a spectacular 1980 Mercedes Benz W116 300SD, with only 87,000 miles on the odometer. Wow is about the only word to describe this beauty, and according to the listing:

1980 MERCEDES – BENZ 300 SD W116 … 87,575 Original Miles. This One Owner Washington Luxury Beauty comes with Automatic Transmission, Power Brakes, Leather seats, Fog lights, Power windows, Power door locks, Tape / AM / FM and Climate Controlled Air Conditioning.

Diesel Engine is in Good Shape, does not smoke, does not leak, nice and quiet. As Quiet as Diesel engines get.
This Engine has only 87K miles, these engines are know to cross 500K mark with ease. As long as the new owner takes care of it. Transmission feels Perfect, shifts without any problems, without delay, and without noise. Suspension is in Excellent shape, Car tracks nice and straight. There is No Evidence of any Electrical problems. The exterior is in Excellent shape for a 1980. Leather Seats, Carpet Floor and Glass are all in Great shape. This Beauty has Leather instead of cheaper MB-Tex. Interior of this car is Nice and Clean. This MB has 4 matching New Tires that are mounted on Good straight rims. We have Original 1980 title, it will be going to the new owner.

This car has a Buy-It-Now price of only $8,000. I wonder about that price, because the car is located on Staten Island, and you have to question whether of not there was some storm damage from Sandy. I’m sure you can investigate that with a simple phone call, but in the mean time, take a look at the listing here: 1980 Mercedes-Benz W116 300SD

Another outstanding Mercedes-Benz is this 1983 Mercedes 300D with only 39,000 miles on the odometer. Unbelievable condition and located in Florida, the listing states the following:

THIS IS A 1983 MERCEDES 300D TURBO DIESEL WITH ONLY 39,137 ORIGINAL MILES. THIS VEHICLE WAS OWNED BY AN ELDERLY GENTLEMAN WHO PASSED IN 2009. UPON HIS DEATH THE VEHICLE WAS THEN WILLED TO HIS LONG TIME AIDE WHO WAS ALSO ELDERLY AND WHO HAD TAKEN CARE OF HIM FOR MANY YEARS. SHE WAS NOT INTO THE CLASSIC DIESEL MERCEDES THAT WE ALL LOVE WHICH IS WHAT LED TO HER PARTING WAYS WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL VEHICLE. HER LOSS IS OUR GAIN AS THIS WONDERFUL VEHICLE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR SALE.

THIS ONE OF THE NICEST OLDER 300D’ YOU WILL SEE. IT LOOKS FANTASTIC ON THE OUTSIDE. NO DENTS OR RUST JUST A SHINY BEAUTIFUL EXTERIOR. ON THE INSIDE YOU WILL SEE AN AMAZING INTERIOR. ALL ORIGINAL AND LOOKING FANTASTIC. NO CRACKS IN THE DASH. NO CRACKS IN THE WOOD. PERFECT LOOKING DOOR PANELS AND SEATS AS WELL AS THE HEADLINER. THIS VEHICLE WAS A GARAGED WELL TAKEN CARE OF AUTO. LOOK CLOSELY AT THE PICTURES. YOU WILL SEE DOOR JAMS THAT LOOK FRESH AS THE DAY THEY WERE NEW. RUBBER SEALS THAT LOOK AS FRESH AS DAY ONE. CHROME THAT IS SHINY AND BRIGHT. JUST A FRESH AND CLEAN AND TOTALLY AWESOME VEHICLE. IT RUNS SMOOTH AND STRONG AND IS EXTREMELY TIGHT. I HAVE HAD MANY OF THESE CARS OVER THE YEARS AND THIS HAS TO BE THE STRONGEST NICEST ONE I HAVE EVER HAD AND DEFINITELY THE LOWEST MILEAGE ONE.

The ALL CAPS AD does not detract from this car in any way, but it does say something about the seller. Anyway, there is over five days to go until this auction ends, and the top bid so far is $7,600 with an unmet reserve. What do you think it will take to cal this car sold? take a look at the listing here: 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300 Turbo Diesel

Then there is this Mercedes-Benz from Trenton, NJ. It is two years newer than the last 300D, but it also has a few more miles on the odometer (about 40,000 miles more). The language in the ad is awful, but it is short and to the point:

Beautiful Classic Mercedes Benz, one of the greatest German engineering!
Only 78K very hard to find in excellent condition in and out. No rust anywhere, looks and drive excellent.
CLEAN CAR FAX REPORT
Lots of documentation come with car.
Serious Bidders Only

Another beautiful Diesel Mercedes, and with over five days to go until the auction ends, the top bid so far is $4,500, with an unmet reserve. Let’s see if you can decide which Diesel Benz you would want after looking at this listing: 1985 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Turbo Diesel

1. EAM3 says:

The drivers side tail lights on the 1980 300SD sure do look pretty dark considering the car "does not smoke". Other than that, I really like this car.

2. Xehpuk says:

I'd take any or all of them after an euro-look conversion. Those horribly ugly bumpers would give me nightmares.

3. Rust-MyEnemy says:

The 240D is lovely, but too much of a museum-piece. The 300SD is rather pleasant, and probably pretty useable without much mucking around with. A W116 with the OM642 out of a W221 would be a mighty fine Autobahn conveyance.

4. mrh says:

I like each one better than the last. Well, $16K for a 240D strikes me as crazy, but what do I know. Too bad the interior on the 300SD is so BLUE. Overall, I love the stance and solidity of the 300's. How about a wagon?

5. Dan says:

There are some cars that I would only considering buying if they are unicorns. For instance, I like Jeep Cherokees, but I would only ever buy one if it was a two door, 4×4 with a five speed and the straight six. Similarly, I like old diesel Mercedes, but I would only buy one if it was a wagon with a manual transmission (I think I've only ever seen one like that, and I'm not ever sure if it was from the factory like that or not). With that said, while all of these are very nice cars, I don't think I'd actually ever buy any of them.

6. buzzboy7 says:

I'll take the 1985 300d and have money left over to buy one of these. http://www.4x4labs.com/products/diesel-conversion

7. Batshitbox says:

Coincidentally I was just out driving my housemate's W123 TurboDiesel. It's pushing 340,000 miles, rattles like a landslide and detests biodiesel. Not sure if I'd want one, even if it was as nice as any of these.

I got the diesel bug out of my system with that VW Rabbit back in the '80s.

• Van_Sarockin says:

Hope you didn't hurt yourself. Those Rabbit diesels were a powerful emetic, much more than the hp rating would make you think.

• Batshitbox says:

It was a lot more fun than my Volvo 242, and a bit quicker. I only nearly hurt myself when the clutch cable snapped and I had to shove it at the end of each red light (shoulder on the A-pillar style) and quickly crash it into 2nd to get across town to my pal's house. They don't stall if you're moving at walking speed and just drop them into 2nd. Good cars.

It was when the exhaust fell off that it really became a fun car to drive. BWAAAAAAAHH! POW… BWAAAHP!

At the time I didn't overstand what understeer was.

• Van_Sarockin says:

Hey, I cruised a thousand miles in one, one night, at 85 mph getting about 35 mpg. Not too shabby. And those first gen Rabbits were excellent elemental little econoboxes. But, buy one with my own money? I don't think I've ever been that high.

• Jeremy Wilson says:

I bought a '79 240D for my girlfriend to drive daily and it's been super reliable, given it's age. These really are amazing cars.

8. Joe Dunlap says:

Oh yeah, gotta love that 76 240 with the oil bath air cleaner. Wonder when the last time was anyone scooped the sludge out of that thing. No thanks, I'll take a modern diesel that doesnt sound like its trying to consume itself.

9. 68monk says:

These are all great examples of the 240D. Had a 82 240D that was in great shape but at a certain age stuff just starts to break. Also note that with these low mileage examples, though their engine bays look pristine enough to match the mileage claims, the odometer's ran on a plastic gear cog that had a tendency to break. Which means a lot of Benzes had odo's that stopped working, or as was the case with mine, would eventually catch a non-broken tooth and start logging miles until randomly dropping off again… Mine had somewhere north of 160K mi but it was hard to tell. I think it logged about 5,000 of the 20K (est!) I put on it in a couple of years. The engines, while slow, are iron block head and the car generally is built like a tank.

• C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

Excellent point, however, it seems to be a use problem, not time.

My wife's '81 240D stopped counting miles, mostly, after about 165K, randomly working for a couple of hundred miles here and there.

This went on for four years, and likely close to 50K miles. Meh.

The diesel W123's are the automotive equivalent to the roach…both will be present and moving, post-apocalypse.

10. racer139 says:

Gimmie that 88 burb over any of these. BUT IF I HAD TOO… id take the 85 I think.

11. Jay says:

Immediately knew that the 240D was JG Francis' work from the header photo. He's almost singlehandedly pulling W123 and other once-common Mercs into classic territory stateside. M-B Classic Centre's documentary on his work is amazing, and definitely worth a look.

12. wisc47 says:

That 240D is magnificent, but at 16,000+ dollars there's all kinds of cool things you could get. You would really have to be a huge diesel Merc fan to spend that kind of money, in my opinion.

13. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

Simple, just like the vehicle.

1985 W123.

My wife remarked, yesterday, as we passed one, she can't believe how many of her old car, she had an '81 240D, she still sees on the road.

14. MRAH says:

Watch out – the gauge cluster pictures on the 1985 300D do not match. The 2nd picture shows a large clock (the right-most gauge), while the close-up of the gauge cluster showing the odometer has a smaller clock within a tachometer. Before pouncing on this one, this should be clarified with the seller.

15. Tanshanomi says:

A friend I knew around 1986-87 was from Iran, and he wanted a cheap, reliable car, which for him meant diesel M-B. He searched until he found what probably had to be the only diesel W115 in Kansas. I think it was a '71 or '72 220D. He said it reminded of him every taxicab in Tehran.

16. nasalgoat says:

My '79 240D is starting to get a little worn around the edges, and it spent most of it's life in Cape Cod, so it's kinda rusty. I've been considering just getting another one but spending a bit more for a nicer one. I love these cars.

17. topdeadcentre says:

I'd like to test-drive all three. I'd probably end up buying the one with the BLUE INTERIOR.

18. banda freddy rays says:

i am having the mercedes benz 240d 4speed giving me problem which i suspect is the injector pump and the nuzzles and when you start it it removes alot of black smock combinestion with grey and when moving some times it jeks what could be the problem
    please assist me