Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale »Weekend Edition » Currently Reading:

Weekend Edition – Three Volvo Diesels on eBay. The question is this; Are they desirable?

Continuing on with our Diesel Weekend, inspired by this post from Kamil. Volvo once supplied cars equipped with a Diesel Engine, which was a truly inspired decision on the part of those industrious Swedes. What could be better than to equip a car line that was known for their longevity with a proven diesel power-plant? Here are three examples available now…

Here is a great Volvo 240 GL Diesel Sedan from 1982. The odometer sports a reading of only 72,000 miles (which is really nothing for a Brick with a Diesel) and according to the listing:

SELLING A VERY NICE AND CLEAN 1982 VOLVO 244 GL * 2.4L 6 CYLINDER DIESEL *EXTREMELY LOW MILEAGE FOR THE YEAR * ONLY 72K. MILES * ALL ORIGINAL * DOCUMENTED AND ALSO AUTOCHECK REPORTS ACTUAL MILES *CLEAN TITLE NO ACCIDENTS* LIGHT BLUE EXTERIOR WITH DARK BLUE INTERIOR *A/C IS ICE COLD * HEATER BLOWS HOT* ENGINE STARTS RIGHT UP AND TRANSMISSION SHIFTS SMOOTH ,*THE EXTERIOR IS IN GREAT SHAPE , PAINT IS REALLY SHINY , JUST A MINOR DENT AND SCRATCH ON THE THE LEFT REAR CORNER QUARTER PANEL (SEE PICS) *AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PHOTOS , THIS VEHICLE WAS ALWAYS GARAGE KEPT* NO RUST ON THE BODY , THE VEHICLE WAS ALWAYS IN ARIZONA , SO IT HASN’T SEEN ANY SNOW * INTERIOR IS ALSO IN GREAT WITH NO RIPS , WEAR, OR TEARS , THE THE DASHBOARDS HAS SOME CRACKS FROM THE SUN * THE VOLVO RUNS EXCELLENT , A REAL HEAD TURNER FOR BEING THIS CLEAN AND ALSO BEING A RARE FIND , THERE’S NOT MANY OUT THERE ON THE ROAD * SO DON’T MISS OUT ON THIS GREAT CLASSIC DIESEL VEHICLE *

It really is a nice Volvo, and with over four days to go until the end of the auction, the top bid is currently $2,850 with an unmet reserve. The Buy-it-Now price is $6,500, which is a little rich (at least that’s what I think). So, tell me what you think after looking at the listing here: 1982 Volvo 240 GL Diesel

This is a Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel from 1984. This car has covered over 112,000 miles and it is still going strong. According to the listing:

Collector car, rare, hard to find, close to SHOW ROOM condition, clean in and out with title to go with it, all original. Has only 112K ORIGINAL miles on it and still counting. I6 DIESEL Turbo charged engine ( 2.4, D24TIC, 115 hp, 86 kV) with 4 speed automatic transmission, NEW timing belts, NEW tires, NEW brake system (pads, calipers, master cylinder), NEW back shocks, heated front seats, automatic AC/HEAT system, power tinted windows, central lock system. ALL OF IT WORK!!! NO RUST!

These cars are slightly more modern that the 240 series, with more interior room, and a better ride, but it’s still a Volvo. Top bid so far with only two days to go is $2,475.50, with an unmet reserve. So what do you think it will take to sell this car? See the listing here: 1984 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel

Here is another Volvo 760 Turbo Diesel, only this is a 1983 model, with considerably more mileage (279,000!). It has a 4-speed manual with over-drive, but there are some issues. According to the listing:

Up for sale is an extremely rare 1983 Volvo 764 (760) GLE turbo diesel. It has the rare factory VW/Audi 6 cylinder turbo diesel engine, also known as a D24T engine in Volvo language. The transmission is a manual 4 speed with electronic overdrive (electronic 5th gear), so essentially a 5 speed, called an M46 in Volvo language. The Volvo is silver green metallic (very light green) with green cloth interior. Very rare color combination. This is a first year Volvo turbo diesel. It has some really rare and neat features such as a working sunroof, rear window sun shades (one needs repair), matching green coin tray, Volvo OE trailer hitch, climate control, cruise control, fog lamps (lenses are cracked, but are easily found and replaced), and lastly it has the extended range fuel tank in the trunk, that is fully operational still.

The car has been off the road for a few years due to the way it runs. The engine runs rough and smokes on idle. I would suspect the engine needs to be rebuilt, however, it may be a valve adjustment or something simple. Despite this fact, the car starts right up. The battery is shot and is very weak when fully charged, so I have been jumping it to start it on occasion. The clutch is shot as it slips. Could be an adjustment, but doubtful. I will include a good used OE clutch setup to the buyer. I recently changed the oil with synthetic, which did help the way it runs. These engines NEED synthetic oil. Research this and you’ll find a lot of info on the subject and why. The engine has new Bosch injectors (all 6), new timing belts, new glow plugs, new air and fuel filters. The turbo spools up fine.

The interior needs a good cleaning from sitting, but there are no rips or tears in the seats, and they are still very comfortable. The headliner sags, and someone tacked it up in the back. Sunroof does not appear to leak. The body is decent for it’s age. Only a few minor surface rust spots, all noted in the pictures, but none are through, i.e. no holes. There is a minor dent, as can be seen in the pictures, in the drivers door. The paint is alright, though the clear coat on the roof is starting to fail. That, too, can be seen in the pictures. I believe the car was repainted at some point. Yes, it is the factory original color. The tires are brand new, well brand new about 2 or 3 years ago. They have roughly 50 miles on them, and are not rotted, nor do they have any flat spots in them. They ride smoothly as they should.

My intention was to fix it up and drive it for a while, but due to personal issues, I decided that it would be best to let it go to another home. Hopefully this rare gem will be given another chance to rule the road once again.

The seller also owns a complete tool set to service the Volvo D24/D24T engines properly, and will sell these tools (seperately) if the car sells. So how much for this (not all that) terrible project car? Try $995. Look, its running, looks ok, pretty cheap, new(er) tires, and a lot of work has been performed… So what could possibly go wrong? See the listing here: 1983 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel

Newer 760 with leather. Probably wants more than $3500, which would be my upper limit, and only because I'm a nice guy. Other 760 has a spare gas tank in the trunk, which deducts from your hooker count. Optional coin tray makes it tempting, but no velour for me.

2. TurboBrick says:

I'm intrigued by the '83 just for the oddball green interior. There is no good reason to choose the diesel over the gas powered ones. Well, maybe it wasn't such a completely bad idea in the case of the '83, since the only other engine choice for that year was a B28F. The VW truck diesel engine is not particularly powerful, efficient or long-lived.

• FuzzyPlushroom says:

Everything you said. The things I'd do to find a 765 with that interior. And those wheels… either Sirius or Nova, I always forget which is which… I have a set destined for life on my 244. Best 15" wheels Volvo made.

• TurboBrick says:

When the best thing we can think of a particular car is an interior choice that most buyers rejected, it can't be a very good thing.

• FuzzyPlushroom says:

That's why I like it. I'm okay with the red and the black, obviously, but I don't care so much for the ubiquitous tan except under 412 green.

3. dead_elvis says:

Bah. Gasser 7xx Volvos are dirt cheap, so why the price premium for these VW-powered oilburners? $995 sounds about right for one of these, but only for a running car with some service history.

• JayP2112 says:

All diesels are trying to bring premium cash.
      The Apocalypse is coming and a car that can run on kitchen grease and zombie guts looks appealing.

• dead_elvis says:

True about the (temporary?) vogue for diesels, but anyone familiar with elderly Volvos knows that at this point, all of the interior plastic is brittle & ready to break if you look at it wrong if it hasn't done so already. Anyone unfamiliar with such is bound to be disappointed when anything not yet broken or cracked starts to do so profligately. The D24 (T or not) doesn't deserve the bad rap it's gathered, but mechanics familiar with them are few & far between, at least in the US.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Swedish bricks – my DD is an '87 244DL – but without a massive paper trail of maintenance, I'd pass on all of them. The asking price for the 264 is beyond crack pipe territory, and the non-runner with 279K? While the motor may be just broken in, the rest of the car is likely to bleed you dry unless all the rest of the maintenance is DIY.

4. racer139 says:

That silver 760 probably needs an injection pump which will not be cheap. And a clutch isnt a deal breaker as its probably the original. maybe $2500-3000 and it could be back on the road.

5. Jay says:

It's been ages since I've seen a diesel Volvo, and this is coming from a guy who attends several classic Volvo shows a year.

$6500 for that blue 240 is, ahem, very optimistic. Once again, what's the appeal, aside from surprising the odd Volvo cognoscenti (former Volvo mechanic) at the gas station? The "cachet" of a 240 diesel does not equal the cachet of the W123 diesel, and those are just barely arriving now, mostly thanks to a handful of restorers. Having said that, perhaps the emergence of W123s diesels as a thing will pull diesel Volvos along, but their appeal is extremely narrow, even among people who are into things like 242GTs and awfulness like Bertone 262s.

6. Joe Dunlap says:

The 760s at least have turbos, and will get out of their own way. The 240 is just, well, there are no words for how slow it is. And God help you if you ever have to change out #5 glow plug on any of them. You can do it without removing the injection pump, but its NO FUN.

7. I_Borgward says:

Most Volvo geeks (myself included) would tell you to steer well clear of these cars. These, along with the V6 models, just aren't as desirable, bulletproof or reliable as cars with the venerable red block, turbo or NA.

At nearly $3K, the 240 has some problems: the infamous tweaked hood, the left rear quarter ding and the vaguely mismatched paint on the left front fender… at $6.5K, they would be unacceptable even in a gasoline model. The dash is pretty cracked, too, but they all are at that age!

For all of them, the efficiency or value just isn't there. I do kind of dig that multi-tone green interior on the 760, though!

Thanks for the compilation! Entertaining as always.

• dead_elvis says:

The D24 is a fine & reliable motor when treated properly. Most, if not all, of the problems attributed to it are due to neglect or bad practices. The PRV V6? Not so much.

8. Sjalabais says:

As the Turbobrick said, the LT diesel is not really worthy of its Volvo shell. Try a newer one! When Volvo first presented their very own D5, AutoZeitung and Berliner Zeitung (aka Lion Hall Times) called it the world's best diesel. Now every European car seems to be equipped with Peugeot diesels…

9. Metric Wrench says:

Rare and neat feature, a working sun roof. Now that's a guy that's lived with a Volvo.

• FuzzyPlushroom says:

All of the electrical bits worked in my '92 745, save for the taillights and rear wiper. Sunroof and all, just fine. Now, my '94 855, that sunroof needed a bit of manual assistance most of the time.

• TurboBrick says:

Oh hush, the sunroofs are fine, it's just the crappy switches that get fried.

• topdeadcentre says:

The sunroof in my '97 850 Turbo Wagon and my current V70R have both been exceptionally, unerringly reliable… and I open up the sunroof every chance I get. Everything else on the 850 was wearing out when I traded it in, but the sunroof was impeccable!

10. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

'84 GLE.

I'd DD that…probably forever.

11. Xedicon says:

Chin spoilers! w00t!

12. topdeadcentre says:

The '84 760 is pretty sharp looking, and if the diesel doesn't work out (possibly with a greasecar conversion), I'll just slide a small-block Chevy V8 into the engine compartment.

• Synchromesh says:

I was thinking about the same thing with a 240. I read that diesel cars are a much better starting platform for this conversion. Just convert it into 5-speed after and it's a deal!

13. rpdred6 says:

I see so many of these Volvos still up and running and driving around

14. autonprojects says:

Hi there

This brown 760 GLE with leather and working sunroof was my car.
    I saw comment “oil burner”?! I won’t argue that, we all have different experiences with cars, but just in “brown brick” defense I have to say that that car did not burn any oil as long as I had it! On one tank of diesel that car will take me 600+ miles on HWY(depending on diesel quality), average speed 70MPH! Didn’t have any leaks, wires in engine compartment looked next to new. It had D24T I6 VW engine.
    That was my second 760 Diesel, the first one ended up tboned at the traffic light, so now it’s waiting restoration. My first one has bad wires under the hood, and I know they r hard to find… It’s with green exterior and black leather interior, D24T engine and automatic transmission. Both cars have only couple of cracks on the dash bord(can’t take it against them being that old) and all electrical working.
    “Brown brick” is sold to Norway for more than $3500.
    If you will check my site http://www.autonprojects.weebly.com or http://www.facebook.com/autonprojects
    I hope you will enjoy it

15. Jason says:

It's too bad the Volvo diesel didn't last in the USA. I can see it being a competitor against Mercedes-Benz Diesel or BMW.