Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale »Weekend Edition » Currently Reading:

Weekend Edition – Two 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Landbarge Super DeLuxe Aircraft Carrier Convertibles. Seriously, who needs a car this large anyway?

Continuing on with our low mileage weekend, and here are two very large Cadillac Eldorado Convertibles from 1976. This was the only convertible model available within the General Motors stable, as the other GM models that were available as convertibles were discontinued (Chevrolet Caprice Classic, Oldsmobile Delta 88, Buick LeSabre, and Pontiac Grand Ville). They all shared the same convertible top mechanism, and in these last years, they were produced in relatively large numbers (14,000 Eldorado Convertibles were produced in 1976 alone!) But, does anyone really need a car that is over 225 inches long, 80 inches wide, and weighs close to 5,300 pounds?

This is a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible with only 1,620 miles on the clock. According to the listing:

A Rare Opportunity To Own A Meticulously Preserved, Not Restored, Museum Worthy Collector Car, With Only 1,620 Original Miles This Unique Piece Of Automotive History. Car Was Custom Ordered With Every Available Factory Option – Including 500ci FI Engine And Parade Boot. Great Condition, Properly Stored No Snow, Smoke, One Owner, Original Window Sticker, Rides Impeccably. Everything Works – Including The Clock.

Firethorn Red is the color, with a red interior and a white top that seems to compliment the overall appearance of this car. With over five days to go until the end of this auction, the top bid so far is $15,800, with an unmet reserve. This car has a presence, but at what price? See the listing here: 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Covertible

This is also a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, with 7,675 miles on the odometer. According to this listing:

We are happy to present this gorgeous 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible in beautiful light blue with white drop top and blue interior. The vehicle runs great and is in excellent overall condition. Due to it’s year it has some minimal signs of chrome wear on the bumper but overall it is beautifully kept, always covered and garaged. if a picture is worth a thousand words, then these pictures are worth a million, they truly represent the vehicle and are very detailed. Bid with confidence. Don’t miss the opportunity to own a true classic and travel in style. This is a no reserve auction, so bid with confidence. Just a funny bit I picked up on Wikipedia: In 1976, when all other domestic convertibles had vanished, GM heavily promoted the American industry’s only remaining convertible as “the last American convertible”. 14,000 would be sold, many purchased as investments. The final 200 convertibles produced were designated as “Bicentennial Edition” commemorating America’s 200th birthday. These cars were white with a dual-color red/blue pinstripe along the upper body-side.

While this is not a Bicentennial Edition, is is a rather good looking car finished in Crystal Blue Firemist with an Antique Light Blue interior and a white top. The Buy-it-Now price for this Special Cadillac is $22,995… See the listing here: 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Covertible Would either of these Convertibles even tempt you into bidding?

1. Michael Hagerty says:

A kajillion of the '76s were put into storage after a few miles by people wanting to cash in years later on "the last American convertible". Six short years later, Ford Mustang and Chrysler LeBaron ended that investment strategy. Think of the Eldorado hoarder of '76 as the equivalent of the people who paid $100 for Twinkies on eBay.

If you have to have one of these, get a '71. Same car, more power, less money.

The guys who are trying to unload these at a $20,000 loss 36 years after buying them have a very short window. In 10 years, most of the market for this car won't be driving anymore.

• dukeisduke says:

At least 36 years later, the Eldos will still be viable. The Twinkies? Not so much. And, contrary to urban legend, Twinkies only have a shelf life of 25 days (longer than other baked goods because they contain no dairy ingredients).

• mseoul says:

You got that straight. I remember it well. That said, give credit to Caddy for making a decent looking and unique steering wheel. I always liked those smooth and meaty feeling Caddy wheels even though the free spin made it an incongruous thing. Ford, which I sold a few years later, always used a standard Ford wheel on Lincolns. But don't forget the real leather dash on the Versailles though: whoever thought of that should get a medal. Grenada wheel and all else, but the dash top was hand stitched leather.

• chrystlubitshi says:

expensive twinkies taste better.

(I keed, I keed)

2. Stumack says:

Low-mile '76s will be coming out of the woodwork for ever and ever and ever. Having said that, the blue one is very sharp.

3. safetystephen says:

If I had the beans sure. I remember these Caddies well. Like driving a Lay-Z-Boy. Pure heaven on wheels if that's your kinda thing. Sure ragtops came back but they weren't creampuffs like the old Caddies, not by a mile. Cars fit for a King. Once you slide into those incomparably soft thick leather seats it's all over pal. After the Sevilles and the 4/6/8s came Caddy changed their focus and it was all over for good. These sleds are in fit shape and low mileage. What could possibly go wrong?

• Ian says:

Other than all the rubber rotting, nothing could go wrong…

• chrystlubitshi says:

dude, bid with confidence. bid with confidence.

I know what you mean about caddy changing their focus. These cars were meant to be driven so you could BE SEEN IN IT–light coloured interiors and all. since the late 70s, it has been all about seeing the car, and ignoring the driver/passengers.

4. Stephen Hood says:

Does anyone need one of these? Absolutely.

Very nice. If you want a huge two door convertible that you can land helicopters on the fore and aft decks simultaneously, then these are for you. Way overpriced, even though they're in perfect condition. Besides, the wheel covers aren't color matched. A neighbor doctor moved to FLA and got the deVille version for his wife, also in red with a white top, automatic trunk closure, and whatever else they could cram on the invoice. It was fine for what it was, but kind of its own self-aware joke.

• Mad_Hungarian says:

What DeVille version? Not in '76. The last year for the DeVille convertible was 1970. A small number of Coupe deVilles were made into convertibles by Hess & Eisenhart in about 1979. That's it.

6. dukeisduke says:

Sure, why not? There's something for everyone.

7. Mad_Hungarian says:

Something seems wrong with the front bumper fillers on the red one

8. Joe Dunlap says:

I want one. Only so I can park it diagonally across 3 parking spaces…..

9. B72 says:

What's up with the top of the steering wheel on the blue one? Looks like a plastic failure.

This is way too much money for a la-z-boy. Its too much money for an old brittle daily driver. Maybe as a show car it makes more sense, but many Rodney Dangerfield themed shows are out there?

10. JayP2112 says:

Do I see a remake of "Live and Let Die"?

11. Joe Dunlap says:

I find it somewhat ironic that these are being posted today, the day the the USS Enterprise CVN-65 was deactivated.

12. Irishzombieman says:

In high school I nearly got my best friend Mike to buy a yellow 76 Eldorado convertible. It had a 500c.i. engine and a pair of Texas Longhorn horns mounted on the hood that reached the edge of the fenders.

My failure to convince him to buy it is one of the greatest disappointments of my life. I shall make up for this by one day buying one for myself.

13. NoKetchup says:

These land yachts are truly the white elephant of the car world. I personally have a penchance for 94 towncars (and the dream of dropping an 03 cobra motor into it).

I think we are still too close to the prior era of the super suv's for these to have a proper market. Simply put, we will never see these sizes of cars again, and I think there will one day be a nice payout for those that stash these vehicles for another 10 years.

14. Panzerwagen says:

My dad bought a light blue '76 with a dark blue top for my mom. She was so pissed off, she didn't drive it for six months. If she parked facing downhill, she could not pull the door closed as it was too heavy. He was also considering an SL and a 911 but in spite of my pathetic begging, but bought this instead for its "collect ability". I have to admit that it grew on me over time, the styling that is. Road manners were another story. It tracked poorly down the highway and steering needed constant attention. Oh yeah, it was hard to drag race because the torque steer was so bad that it would jump halfway into the next lane when you floored it. Good times!

15. njhoon says:

Need a car this large? No. Want a car this big, oh yeah. I never really liked them until I drove one, god was it awesome. Looking out over a huge hood, a flick of the right foot shoots you up to 80 mph in a flash while riding on a pillow that is as comfortable as you living room. – Oh Yeah…..

• chrystlubitshi says:

you might think it is a "want" issue. you have driven one. it is a NEED. My parents put all of their kids in the biggest cars possible –within reasonable affordability and age/use/etc. (the five of us had (late 90s/early 2000s) a '79 rocket 350 olds 88, '84 buick lesabre with a 350 crate motor transplant, 3.8 turbo transplant in to an '83 oldsmobile delta 88.
      theory being keep 'em safe. and give them a missile.

you need it like you wouldn't believe.

16. chrystlubitshi says:

i need the blue one. I need a '76 Lincolne Towne Coupe more… but I need a car this size. no really. Need…. I miss changing sparkplugs by just jumping in and straddling a component or two.

17. zsvdkhnorc says:

I've always prefered the contemporary Lincolns. Every bit as big, but they drive much better. You'd think handling wouldn't matter so much on something this size, but poor handling can set all nineteen-and-a-half feet of your two-and-a-half tons of steel, glass, and union pensions hurtling across multiple lanes at highway speeds.

Lack of a convertable option on the Lincolns of that era doesn't bother me so much. Who puts a sofa outdoors? If I'm riding my sofa down the highway, I want to do it under a roof.

18. Rust-MyEnemy says:

These Cadillac interiors had the most awesome ratio of dashboard real estate to actual functionality.

Actually, that theme made it right into the 80's, with the little cluster of gauges ahead of you, the HVAC to the left (where the passenger can't interfere so you can freeze or bake them at your whim…mwahahahaha!) and the radio to the right. That's it. Americas' Rolls Royce may have been more ostentatious but had nothing on us limeys for interior trinketry.

I'd still hit one, though. With a 6BT, L10 or 6LYT….

• Van_Sarockin says:

First, sit up straight when you refer to The Standard of the World, Limey!

1976 one of the worst years for smog controlled engine. It was an accomplishment to get them to idle evenly.

I can't agree more about the dash. It's also amazing how close it is to the dash layout and hardware of other divisions. A little plastichrome on the A/C vents, different profile to the steering wheel pad, thicker, richer upholstery, and bulked out door trim and arm rests. And a smattering of electronic gimmicks scattered about. Amazing what passes for luxury.

19. CptSevere says:

Big? Sure, it's big, until you park it next to my old '71 Fleetwood 75 limo. That was big. And, the 472 wasn't as smog choked as the 500 in either of these convertibles. I like Eldo convertibles, any Cadillac fan like myself would, but I'd rather have a Deville convertible from the late sixties.

20. ConstantReader says:

Many comments similar to what was said about the 1957 Eldorado just a few years ago (like 25). That Eldo is regarded as a Milestone by AACA and prices for it are in the six figures. So in a few years collectors will wax nostalgic about 70s Caddies. In 1971 the Eldo had 345HP, more than enough to push this land barge through the ether. By 1976, horsepower was cut to 190 in an effort to regulate its carbon footprint, thank you California. The 1971 has styling more befitting the Gothic Blimpworks that Cadillac had become by the end of the 60s.