Home » Last Call » Currently Reading:

Last Call- The World’s Greatest Shelby® Slot Car Racetrack Edition

Robert Emslie November 30, 2012 Last Call

Originally available through of all places, Restoration Hardware, this amazing 63-foot long, 22-watt uber slot course is now only available via places like eBay. Two Daytonas – one black and one silver – battle it out over criss-cross straights and tri-level turns for what is arguably the coolest living room floor slot setup imaginable, and that is now at the top of my Christmas list. I just need to to let the fat man in red know.

Image: [Restoration Hardware]

1. Dean Bigglesworth says:

I think i have enough Scalextric track to do that. This brings back fond memories of the smell of a hot scalextric controller..

2. lilpoindexter says:

DUDE…Imagine a real track like that.

3. Devin says:

Off topic: The Blipshift banner keeps saying "Wanna see a Scandinavian Flick?" which causes me to respond in my head "What have you done to Scandinavian Flick?"

4. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

As a kid, I had a Total Racing Control track, with the smash car…'least I think that's what it was called.

Cool, certainly, but I spent more time cleaning the contacts and wiggling the track to fix electrical continuity problems than I did racing it.

Still, when you're 10…near-constant repair doesn't dissuade you from playing!

5. Rayzel Lam says:

Totally awesome!…

6. longrooffan says:

thejeepjunkie, the Kid and this olelongrooffan spent several hours in the Kid's garage two weekends ago racing around something very similar to this…lots of fun remembering about days gone by..

7. Scott Murray says:

How do you buy this? I had a strombecker 1/24 inthe 1960s

• Joe Dunlap says:

So did I Scott. Those were terrific cars as I recall, based on Ferraris. I remember liking them a lot because of the size, larger than the HO scale.

8. PotbellyJoe says:

I had Tyco 1/64th scale racers. My Rick Mears Indy car was always a favorite of mine. After 4-5 straight Christmases where every uncle, grandparent and such gave me tracks, I had a room absolutely full of track, I think at one point I had an 8'x10' section of solid track that had tight curves inside of lazier curves, banking and sections that went up the wall. I also had a NASCAR Thunderbid that had headlights.

Nothing was better than realizing that you could get metal red-hot by laying it across the tracks and then use that to "weld" the snapped wings back onto your broken cars. A lot more fun than glue.

• njhoon says:

I had Tyco cars as well. I am the youngest of 6 so my I got all of the hand me down track and cars, we could convince my parents to buy another set and we would add on to the existing sets. The added bonus was, in the town I grew up in there was a Tyco distribution center. Some good dumpster diving etc we had all of the slot car and train set goodness we could handle. A friend lived about a 1/2 mile from the industrial park where it was located, his setup was insane, it was all over the basement.

• RahRahRecords says:

I hat Tyco slot tracks too. So did my friends. I also had the Tyco Electric trucking set which used the same track. We'd combine all our tracks together into an ungodly mess. The advantage of the electric trucking controllers was the option of reverse and since the race cars only had one guide pin, when you switched directions just right they'd do a wicked spinout and go the other way.

9. rovingardener says:

I got the Aurora snowmobile set back in the early 70's which had some slippery light blue track with waves in the track to go with my dad's Aurora stuff. Made for some interesting configurations. We had about 115 feet of track and several sets of high banked turns.

I had several A/FX cars, some Tyco and I used to build different configurations of motors with rare earth magnets and had all kinds of sticky tires and some magic fluid that made them even more sticky. I used to swap bodies and had a Polish Racing Drivers' Association Ferrari Daytona and a Shadow UOP, along with a couple variations on the Ford GT 40, J-Bodies and a couple breadvans. One Christmas I got the Mark Donohue Porsche 917 and a Ferrari 512. I probably had about 70 cars. If that stuff is still in my sister's house it might be worth quite a bit, now. Or not.

10. bob says:

Anyone buy this set? Looking for one!

LincolnOsirus@hotmail.com