Home » All Things Hoon »Car Shows »Hooniverse Goes To... » Currently Reading:

Some Of The Customs Here For The Turkey Rod Run

So this past weekend was the 39th annual Turkey Rod Run down here in the World Center of Racing. This olelongrooffan has been attending this event for so many years that I have lost count of that number. As usual, there were quite a few custom cars that showed up and I was lucky enough to get out and about and check them out. In previous years, I attended this event as a spectator but since I started schleping trailers, I usually have to stick close to our booth so as not to incur the wrath of TheBoss by being away from my temporary cube for too long. But I did get out and about to find some stuff to share with my fellow Hoons.

One of the customs I spotted was this 59 Chevy Impala knockoff. There was so much customization on this one that it could be based on pretty much any chassis and, as that license plate proclaims, it is the KatsAss. While not altogether in this olelongrooffan’s taste, the builder did a jam up job on this one.

But I do have this to say about that, the builder carried the look from the exterior into the interior and it turned out damn nice. At least for a customized 59 ragtop. Just make sure to get it back into the trailer before the clouds open up.

Just down a ways parked next to that resale red 64 GTO was this Kermit Green “Bronco III”. Yeah those ball cap wearing dudes appeared to graft a 34 Ford grill onto the front end of what they had labelled a Bronco.

Given the amount of customization required to achieve this truck, this olelongrooffan is going to have to cut them a little slack. It is a longroof after all.

But the absolute coolest custom ride of all could be found in my own backyard. Yeah, see that number 20 bearing 1960 Pontiac Catalina in the above image? That very same car won the 1961 Daytona 500 back when NASCAR raced stock cars. See those two folks sitting at that table in those white chairs? That would be the dude who drove that car to victory that long ago February day. Yeah, Marvin Panch who is now in his 80s and still attracting cuties from all over. His daughter sitting next to him, Marvette, manages his day to day activities and always has Marvin around to assist in promoting TheBoss’s company. Why? Well, Marvin and TheBoss’s folks go way back and Marvin has known TheBoss since the day TheBoss was born. And you think this olelongrooffan can spin a yarn? Think again, my fellow Hoons, think again.

So anyway, Marvette puts all of their show appearing stuff in the trunk of Dad’s 60 Catalina so it all stays together. It’s interesting, whenever I asked Marvin about his future show visiting plans he would just look at me with a gleeful look and tell me I needed to check with Marvette as she sets it all up. Yeah, and he loves it. “I don’t know what I am doing tomorrow and that is the most fun part of all of this.” A more personable gentleman is hard to meet these days. I asked him what his monetary compensation was for coming out here and signing autographs at our booth every day for this four day weekend. He looked at me with a look on his face almost in disbelief. “Son, your TheBoss would do anything for you that he could and I feel the same way about him. It’s just what you do.” A more profound statement hasn’t been heard by this olelongrooffan in quite a whiles.

So anyway, TheBoss headed over to the NASCAR archive storage facility to pick up this ole Catty on Monday and drug it out here to the Daytona International Speedway on Tuesday for display in one of our ClearTrailer.com products and it certainly drew a bunch of attention this weekend. But do my fellow Hoons remember I mentioned that Marvette keeps their show stuff in the trunk of that ole Poncho? When she arrived on Thanksgiving Day to set up that table and stuff, she climbed in the rear of that trailer and grabbed the partially seen above screwdriver to stick through that key slot to open that truck up to access those needed accessories.

Again, this olelongrooffan can’t make this shit up.

Image Copyright Hooniverse 2012/longrooffan

1. buzzboy7 says:

Sorry to be the pessimist here, but those are just fugly.

2. TrueBlue315 says:

That shade of gray on the batwing Chevy is interesting. It almost makes the car look like an unpainted plastic model kit.

3. detroitmuscle says:

The 59 replica custom is too cool.
    I can only imagine the skill and talent of the builder.

4. Xedicon says:

To each their own…

5. JB_Finesse says:

As a Californian seeing a G-body Monte Carlo like any neighborhood drug dealer might have gave me a chuckle. The fake Impala might have been slightly less fuckawful if the grill wasn't slanted. With the amount of money spent on whatever unfortunate car is underneath all that shite the owner could have bought a real one. Does it even have taillights? And what in the name of Zeus's butthole are you supposed to be able to see in those 2" mirrors? I really wish there were more shots of the Pontiacs. As for the Bronco II…it's the best looking Bronco II I've ever seen.

6. EmbracingEntropy says:

The custom '59 shows great talent but poor taste. It's a cartoon knock-off– left original it would have been much better. I agree with TrueBlue that the color looks like that of a cheap plastic toy. Perhaps <insert sarcastic optimism> in a different color (and with some brightwork) this might have been a respectable custom. As it sits, it's completely forgettable. And its another good example of a bad use of full moons.

7. muthalovin says:

Those dudes in the fold-out chairs wearing hats are just about as terrifying as those peekaboo dolls.

8. MVEilenstein says:

Wait, your boss knows Marvin Panch? Now that is some kind of name-dropping.

I would have attended just to get a look at that Catalina.

9. gearz1 says:

The "Katsazz" 59 thing seems to have Mercedes headlight parts,and the windshield looks Corvette which is my guess as to what is under that plastic. Looks well crafted.

10. dukeisduke says:

The grey whatever-it-is looks like a caricature from some cartoon, from the late '50s.

11. dukeisduke says:

I'd like to see pictures of the Beetle in the first and second pictures.

12. oldcarjunkie says:

I think the most disturbing thing in this thread is someone would name their daughter Marvette.

13. Tom Lee says:

You all had to be there to absorb all that was there…
    I spent, Wednesday 6 hours, Thursday 6 hours, Saturday 6 hours, Sunday 4 hours
    and other than walking my legs off, I was in custom car = original pure stock = slightly modified = to the grey toy = overload.
    I took some pictures, but for the 1st three days forgot the camera, leaving it in the Nations Oldest City.
    Got to visit with Mr. Panch also, one down to earth person. I asked him if it was easier to drive a car with power or manual steering…. he gave me a look that said "you got to be crazy" and then replied Manual steering, you can feel the track better than with power steering.
    Best part of the weekend was watching the GasLight Parade down A1A, Ormond Beach on Friday night, sitting next to the LongRoof and the Mad Hungarian……listening to the comments on the takeof the cars going by. Great evening.
    So much for my two bits on this weekend……… loved every minute of it.
    Horsefarmer

14. lilpoindexter says:

That "59" probably cost 100s of thousands to build, but I think it looks terrible.

15. parkwood60 says:

The phrase "kill it with fire" is over used these days on the internet, but I can think of no more fitting comment to make about that "59 Impala"