Home » All Things Hoon »Hooniverse Goes To... » Currently Reading:

Long Shots: Any Of my fellow Hoons Ever Seen One Of These?

Thanks all you Vets out there.

When this olelongrooffan first started up this Long Shots series, thanks for the naming of it to a certain fellow Hoon, I envisioned it being of cars seen on the street.  Well I soon realized the attendance of the many car related events I, well, attend, required a modification to this rule.  This sighting was no exception.  my fellow Hoons might want to make the jump to see something pretty rare these days.

This olelongrooffan was standing just outside the tire garage out at the Daytona International Speedway and spotted this relatively rare Fiat Dino hanging out in the shade of their overhang. I just had to capture a few images of it for all y’all. This is the first Fiat Dino I remember seeing. I do remember seeing a Ferrari Dino out at the Art of the Automobile Lifestyle show back in May but this one is even sweeter.

There is a shop over in Rust_My_Enemy’s homeland who specializes in the service and repair of these old roadsters. This one was quite a sight to see and this olelongrooffan is quite happy to have done so.

But know this my fellow Hoons, despite the fact this olelongrooffan was able to see this and grab some images of it, it is even cooler that the Hooniverse Overlords allow me to share it with my Hooniverse friends.

Image Copyright Hooniverse 2012/longrooffan

1. mseoul says:

Beautiful car. Any interior pics?

2. wisc47 says:

I think taillights like that might look good on my Fiat Spider…

3. Alff says:

The first time I saw one of these I was 19 and was working as a hand at the big annual collector vehicle auction in the Seattle Coliseum (Key Arena to you yutes). It's definitely one of those that looks much better in the steel than in photos, although I prefer Bertone's coupe to Pininfarina's Spider.

• Maymar says:

I'm with you on that – first time I saw the coupe was watching the original Italian Job, and looked fantastic enough I had to find out what it was. The cabrio's nice, but very exaggerated.

4. vetteman61 says:

There was an episode of Wheeler Dealers that focused on one of these cars.

Such fantastic cars, and I've never been closer than looking at a photo in a book. I'm more familiar with the hardtop, but the convertible is so beautiful, and ultra rare.

6. Mr. Steed says:

I believe Mrs. Peel drove one in at least one episode of "The Avengers."

7. gearz1 says:

The legendary -4 cam 6-
    At Daytona
    On a Sunny day . All is well.

• Thrashy says:

I'll only permit it if they use the engine in a full run of that one-off Stratos from a couple years back. You know, for maximum authenticity.

8. P161911 says:

I remember seeing a very rough Fiat Dino coupe sitting in front of the Piggly Wiggly in Jackson, GA about 8 or 9 years ago. It was for sale even.

9. Ian says:

I haven't seen one of those in years, since the last time I was at the Concorso Italiano. Beautiful cars, love the blue.

10. Modeleccentric says:

One of my Dream cars and several roosted here in Sacramento. There was one at a local yard for around 1000, many, many years ago. Nearly took the plunge but common sense overruled my impulse That One Time…

11. CptSevere says:

I remember seeing a Fiat Dino coupe on the lemon lot on my Army post in Vicenza, Italy, around 1981. I already had my '65 Malibu, so I just looked at it. It was sexy, low, and gorgeous. I forget what the owner wanted for it, but it wasn't much. It was battle scarred and dotted with bird shit, but it looked great. I'm sure somebody bought it and ran it into the ground, which would be a damn shame. It's a long shot indeed that somebody acquired that car and that it still lives today.

12. gearhead says:

All the expense of a Ferrari, with the panache of a Fiat badge.