Home » Finnish Line »For Sale » Currently Reading:

Finnish Line – For Sale: 86′d Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno

Nothing ever kept its value as well as the Toyota Corolla GT Coupe over here. The car was in short supply when it was introduced around the same time as I was, and unlike me, the car entered the world of rally stages pretty instantly. This meant any used examples didn’t spent too much time between plates, or between ditches; a GT Coupe was most often seen rally-prepared at a gravel stage, disappearing into the sticks with a flurry of mud and oh noes.

Fast forward to the early ’00s, and as JDM examples of Levins and Truenos started to swim to our shores, the price level of 10 000 eur for a clean 1984-1987 car was quickly established, though it hadn’t strayed too far from that point earlier. This for a car that cost about 30k in today’s money when new, when you could have gotten a 205 GTi for 25-ish; 101 700 FIM and 81 300 FIM respectively in 1984 Finnish marks. A GT-86 costs 47k eur now, in comparison. And to clarify, 7-10 000 buys you pretty much anything classic and powerful these days. A FWD Corolla from 1985 costs 700 eur, tops. Double that for a FX16 that isn’t made out of bondo. The previously mentioned 205 GTi, if clean, is between 2-3k.

So, here is a used 6000 euro Trueno. It’s a bit bent, but should straighten up with an afternoon’s work with whatever parts you can eBay for it. Take a look.

The only body style available here new was the two-door coupe, a Levin then. No pop-upped Truenos made it here, as those were reserved for the Celica and Supra. This Trueno is a Japanese import as can be seen from the RHD configuration and the short plates.

A while ago, the Trueno here was sold from Turku, the southwest Finnish former capital for something to the tone of 7 000 eur, with family business necessitating the sale. The car was described in the old ad as being in extremely good condition, even if my Turku contacts confirm the car received heavy gas pedal use in suburban Initial D, and that it had a red engine room denoting a colour change to the panda livery.

So, it would appear the car was eventually sold to a dude from the capital region, and that it found an object in its trajectory as the front corner has caved in. This is still purely cosmetical, but the bumper is pretty much long gone now, and Trueno sheetmetal isn’t too easily found here. I imagine a Toyota marble desk charges a fortune for one, overnighted from Jah-pan.

The current seller claims the lack of available time as the reason of selling, but it does seem like he’s unloading the ding in his armour. It’s interesting he hasn’t damaged the rear corner, but has understeered into something. Or then the front left corner is difficult to manoeuvre from the right hand side.

Coincidentally, I happened upon a 1984 comparo between the Toyota and the CRX, 205 GTi, Golf GTI, Escort XR3i, Alfa Romeo Sprint and a Fiat Ritmo 130TC Abarth. The Corolla was described as being dangerously tail-happy, as the writers’ team uniformly spun it on the racetrack. “Too much engine for the chassis”, was the verdict. They very much favoured the Peugeot, the Alfa and the VW.

Here’s the link for the slightly damaged AE86.  Would you shell out 6k for it, fix it or leave it be?

[Source: Nettiauto/Tuulilasi]

1. Spring-heeled Jack says:

Sadly, I've let myself get drawn into the cult of old Toyotas with the purchase of a 90 Cressida. hardly a sporting machine, but certainly a great example of how these cars were once the epitome of how to build a car properly. The Cressi is a lot of fun to drive at a certain pace and now of course I'm thinking about RWD Celicas and Early Supras.

2. FuzzyPlushroom says:

I'd love a rough one of these, but even rough ones are all too costly these days.

I stick with old Volvos… RWD, potentially quite tail-happy, resistant to minor damage and corrosion, and all over the place for a fraction of the cost. But you all knew that, didn't you?

I sure wouldn't mind a Cressida, though…

• Dean Bigglesworth says:

I can wouch for the "tail-happy" and "resistant to minor damage" part… For the 740 at least. The lower valance for the front bumper and original foglights are damn hard impossible to find in good shape, though.

• TurboBrick says:

Well those parts get basically sandblasted in just normal use. I had to commute for a few years through some highway construction and on some mornings it was like driving through a meteor shower. The 760's have the painted bumper cover and it looks awful, not to mention the pinhole crack in the headlight and dents on the hood and even on the roof from all the flying rocks. Adds character, I say…

• Dean Bigglesworth says:

It just looks weird without the lower valance and for the last two years I've just had a button for the foglights on the dash but no foglights.

3. Dean Bigglesworth says:

I've wanted one since about 2002, but the prices are insane. When i crashed and spent half a year in hospital and rehabilitaion my old biking buddies bought me a PS2 and Gran Turismo 3 so i had something to do, the Trueno was my first car. It would have to LHD though because i drive with hand controls, if it was RHD i would have to learn driving all over again. Right hand for gas, brake and shifting; left hand for steering. I would have to completely reverse that… and spend about 3k€ to get a hand actuated clutch.

4. Thrashy says:

The AE86 had 130 horsepower from the factory. "Too much engine for the chassis" says very bad things about either (1) the chassis or (2) Finnish buff-book writers' driving skills.

• Dean Bigglesworth says:

It must be number 2.. The whole quote is "The Toyota frightened the whole team, everyone lost it at least once. Dangerously powerful engine for that chassis."

Unless they had really poor throttle control, the amount of power should be irrelevant. It was also the only RWD car in the test.

5. Dean Bigglesworth says:

Also Initial D might get a lot of shit, but it's actually a very good series.It might be animated, but the driving is still more realistic than most "real" movies. It explains real driving techniques in detail, and has beliavable characters that develop over the series. The story in general is just… well, really good. Classic underdog story. Just make sure you watch it in Japanese, fansubbed if you have to(like i do). The English version with it's altered names and new music is horrible

Edit: Fifth Stage has started! Holy shit, i've been waiting for this since Fourth Stage finished in… 2006?!

6. Colin Wright says:

I just want to see the back of the car.
    And say the reason it was said too much engine for the chassis ,my theory is this car was MENT to drift.
    take Initial D for an example

7. Peter says:

It is sold?

8. julkinen says:

It is sold, I saw it driving around a couple weeks ago.