Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale »Weekend Edition » Currently Reading:

Weekend Edition – A 1960 NSU Sport Prinz Coupe found on eBay

Welcome to the Sunday Edition of the Hooniverse Weekend, and I thought I would start out with this captivating NSU Sport Prinz. This was a model that has been rarely seen outside of Europe, and how it made its way to North America should be a very interesting story unto itself. Alas, the seller does not tell such a tale, so all I can do is tell you about the car after the jump…

According to the Wikipedia Page, the NSU Sport Prinz was designed by Franco Scaglione at Bertone studios in Turin. First models had the air cooled 583 cc Prinz 30 straight-2 engine that produced 20 hp, backed bu an all-synchromesh 4-speed manual transmission. A maximum speed of 75 mph was claimed at the time. Later versions acquired the 598 cc engine of the Prinz 4. Approximately 20,831 were manufactured between 1959 and 1967.

According to this listing:

1960 NSU SPORT PRINZ. UNUSUAL LITTLE COLLECTIBLE MICROCAR MADE IN GERMANY. THIS CAR HAS BEEN OFF THE ROAD AND IN STORAGE FOR MANY YEARS . IT DOES NOT RUN AND THE MECHANICAL CONDITION IS NOT KNOWN. WE ARE NOT HIGHLY FAMILIAR WITH THESE LITTLE CARS BUT, BY LOOKING AT IT, WE THINK IT IS FAIRLY COMPLETE AND PRETTY ORIGINAL. UNFORTUNATELY THE ONE THING WE DO NOT HAVE FOR IT IS THE KEY WHICH WAS PREVIOUSLY LOST AND PLEASE NOTE THE WINDSCREEN IS CRACKED. THIS CAR IS SOLD AS IS, FOR RESTORATION ONLY. THE TRUE MILEAGE IS UNKNOWN.

From what I understand, the NSU engines were robust, with engine, gear box and final drive operating as a single chamber and all lubricated by means of oil, added through a filler in the rocker box cover. The top bid, as of this writing, is $2,025, with an unmet reserve. The Buy-it-Now price is $3,995, which is absurd in my opinion. Take a look at the listing here:1960 NSU SPORT PRINZ MICROCAR, and tell me what you think.

1. Mr. Smee says:

Hyabusa that thing!

2. mdharrell says:

A later one of these with the Prinz 4 engine sat in a barn (yes, really) a couple of miles outside of the town where I went to high school. The property belonged to the parents of one of my friends, although the Sport Prinz itself did not. It was red with a white top and was in about the same shape at this one, except that the engine (which I'd be inclined to call a slant two) had been partially disassembled and may not have been complete. I probably could have picked it up for nearly nothing at any point from my late teens through my mid-twenties, which is when the owner finally came back for it. I think I made the right choice in not doing so. Probably.

It's rare. It looks kind of cute. It's in rough shape. There are no parts. (By all means, tell me about the thriving NSU Sport Prinz Klub, in Romania) And a motorized wheelchair is faster. Probably corners like a toboggan, too.

You do know that Murilee featured an R080 on AutoQuarterMonthly this week? Hard to say which car is in worse shape.

4. CptSevere says:

A Hayabusa swap would be awesome, but this begs for a two stroke snowmobile engine and CVT like that LeMons Miata. Then you'd have, well, something.

• Van_Sarockin says:

The integration of engine to final drive makes it feel pretty daunting to me. But I suppose something can be made to fit. It's telling me that it wants a Wankel in there…

• Kogashiwa says:

Keep it parallel twin I say. A Kawasaki Ninja 250 would have 50% power upgrade over stock, should be sufficient. And who could resist a 250cc car?

5. facelvega says:

Wow, I'd be very interested in paying $1000 or even $1500 for this if I had a Sport Prinz and room for a parts car. Luckily this is not the case. Now if it were a Glas 1300GT or even a Goggomobil coupe I'd be singing a different tune, but if I was really going to drive an NSU for sport, I'd go for a Prinz 4 saloon. Even the RO80 doesn't much appeal to me when I think of what else I could get for the money.

6. lilpoindexter says:

My pops had a piece of property in the late 80s that someone had abandoned a 60s MBZ 190 and a regular NSU Prinz on. I begged if we could keep either or both, but he said no.

7. CarsNC says:

I own a 1967 Sport Prinz in much better condition than this one.. Mine is about 7 on a scale of 10, but not really driveable right now due to shift linkage issue. Hope to resolve soon. Fun car to drive locally but you can only pass old VW buses and 60's Land Rovers. Far better appointed interior than most microcars. Cracked windshield is a problem as glass is hard to come by. I had to source one of the flip-out rear quarter windows from the UK.

8. Leesredgt says:

This one is in awesome shape compared to mine lol