Home » Hemmings Hotties »Wagon Wednesday » Currently Reading:

Hooniverse Wagon Wednesday: The Rare Hardtop Edition

So just yesterday this olelongrooffan mentioned in my post about that Monstrosity that used to be a Ford Ranger that I usually post about personal experiences and have previously expressed to the Hooniverse Overlords that I hoped Hooniverse wouldn’t become just another link posting blog. But this Wagon Wednesday, I just had to throw this one up as it is elcheapo and way cool to this olelongrooffan. Plus it’s on Hemmings. How can that be a fail?

Yes my fellow Hoons, it got the bordello red interior plus a hole in the roof. Plus with only 50,000 miles on the odo, it has lots of life left. So what is it?

Why it’s a Cadillac of course. And it’s a longroof besides. Yeah and it’s priced at just $6,000.00.

Not only that, Daniel Strohl over at Hemmings featured this as their find of the day last week.

Just curious when the last time one of my fellow Hoons has seen an old school bumper jack such as this one?

Ahhh. The lack of a spare $6K is keeping this olelongrooffan from joining Michael Jackson in owning one of these. Bummer.

Img Src: Hemmings Blog

Lack of a spare $6k is your issue? For me it's more like the lack of a spare tire. I'd better shred my checkbook right now, before I do something I'll be really happy about.

2. CptSevere says:

A pillarless clamshell big-block Caddy wagon? Good gawd, which of my buttons DOESN'T it push? Yeah, if I had six grand sitting around, I'd be on the phone. However, I can just see myself sweating bullets changing a tire while this leviathan sways around on that crummy GM bumper jack. Done that kind of thing before, it's unsettling to say the least.

3. Scandinavian Flick says:

I love the clean look of the single pillar wagon design. Buying this would make a real epic end of summer road trip… Just drop the windows and drive real slow and easy. Hmmm…

4. POLAЯ says:

There you go houses! Cadillac was open concept before open concept was cool.

Let me pull that boat off the roof with it and we have a deal!

5. NoKetchup says:

I heart that tailgate

6. MVEilenstein says:

I am all too familiar with that bumper jack; my 77 The Camino had one. Heavy, dangerous, and greasy. The jack was, too.

7. boostedlegowgn says:

How far back did you have to stand to get it all in? Hong Kong?

8. Scandinavian Flick says:

This solves that issue of never knowing what to bring when going on vacation. Heck, I'll just drive the living room.

9. Batshitbox says:

Are ragtop wagons the rule, generally? Why are Hemming's and the seller going out of their way to repeat the phrase Hardtop Wagon? I'm missing something… I would think the lack of B-Pillar would be the rare part of an already rare thing. And that tailgate! Nom Nom Nom.

• FuzzyPlushroom says:

'Hardtop' refers to exactly that, actually – a 'hardtop convertible' styled coupe, originally, when the trend began in the late '40s. Chrysler showcased a few pillarless Town and Country concepts after the war, and GM started mass-producing its pillarless Oldsmobile/Buick/Cadillac hardtops for '49. Through the 1950s, the term 'hardtop' came to refer to any vehicle – coupe, sedan, or even the odd wagon – which had no visible B-pillar, as opposed to the typical two-door and four-door sedans and station wagons.

10. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

Yeah, that's the same bumper jack which was in the trunk of my '73 CDV.

Functional sunroof FTMFW!!!

Also, while spare tire space is tight, you can use a generic GM compact spare on these. On long trips with my old land-yacht, I'd throw a doughnut in there with the full-size spare, just in case. Pumped up to max pressure, of course!

$6K, eh?

Tempted by the fruit of another…
    Tempted then my lack of cash flow was discovered

8 MPG, max, is gonna be difficult to justify, however.

BTW, there are pre-drilled holes over by the passenger's left shin which are for a CB radio. A single-disc under-dash CD player fits there, too, you can change discs/tracks only when stopped.

11. dukeisduke says:

Wow, that took some serious surgery.

12. stigshift says:

Guys! You've all forgotten that the spare goes BESIDE the load floor, upright against the inside of the rear fender. Standard old longroof practice. Unless it was different on those due to the drive assembly for the tailgate, but I don't remember it being different.

• Mad_Hungarian says:

You are right; that's where the spare was on my '76 Custom Cruiser. Of course, the jack stowed in that same compartment too. The question here is whether the spare tire compartment was carried over in the transplant surgery.

13. Jethrine says:

With the back glass up and the tailgate retracted you can stand in the back and hold on to the rear rail of the luggage rack. At least the ergonomics (hoononomics?) are perfect on the Chevrolet version, looks like the same layout here.
    You can even survive falling off at the nationally mandated speed limit of 55mph.
    Poor Strawberry didn't have as good a time as the rest of us when we got to the beach.
    The Chevy had vinyl inside so Strawberry's blood all wiped right off.

14. HTWHLS says:

This is killing me! I want this car bad…..and want to drive it on Hot Rod Power Tour!!!!