Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale » Currently Reading:

Truck Thursday: A sub-$10k Unimog is waiting for you on eBay

People often ask me for car buying advice. They might come up and say “I have X dollars to spend, what should I get?” I’m perfectly capable of giving a consumer-friendly answer, but I always follow it up with a suggestion of what else they could get. For $10,000, I could recommend that someone find a nice Civic, Altima, etc, and live a boring life filled with reliability, efficiency, and a point-A-to-point-B lifestyle. That same $10,000 can bring about something quite special though, if the buyer is ready to step up and become awesome.

Right now, with just over a day left to bid on, sits a 1963 Unimog 404.1. It’s the most common example of the Mercedes-built monster machine, and this particular one is equally common with it’s troop carrier layout. Under the hood is a 2.2-liter six-cylinder engine, and that’s paired with a six-speed manual gearbox that includes two reverse gears.

So, while I tell my non-enthusiast friends and family members how to spend their money wisely. I enjoy telling all of you how to spend your money correctly.

[Source: Ebay Motors – 1963 Unimog 404.1]

1. joshwebster84 says:

This thing could be my grown-up GI Joe toy…

2. SSurfer321 says:

DAMN! It's only 70 miles from me…..I've got $10k liquid….but I do rather enjoy the company of my wife and all my belongings….
    Must NOT buy it now

• mr. mzs zsm msz esq says:

No, do buy it now, for Mustang is not the correct answer to all questions, rather this is.

3. muthalovin says:

So, if you were preparing for a zombie apocalypse, what would be your vehicle of choice for $10 grand? Sure, you can just steal stuff after the outbreak, but preparedness is important!

4. mr. mzs zsm msz esq says:

Perfect vehicle to bring the spawn to soccer, great recommendation Jeff.

5. B72 says:

Anyone else notice the floor cutout for clutch travel? Looks like the brake goes up and down as expected, but the clutch appears to go down and left? That must feel pretty strange until you get used to it.

6. scroggzilla says:

Somewhere, Dearthair's whiskers are twitching.

7. FЯeeMan says:

bah! Trying to get fancy, and got my HTMLs all messed up…

Anyway, a while back my son, only somewhat jokingly, said he'd like to get a light-duty CAT off-road dump truck for his daily driver to put to shame all the jerks at high school who like to blow smoke from their diesel pick'em up trucks. I think that this might just fit the bill, and be a reasonably practical DD, to boot!