Home » Craigslist Phantastico »For Sale »Weekend Edition » Currently Reading:

Hooniverse Weekend Edition – A 1979 Plymouth Fire Arrow found on Craigslist

No, this isn’t the Fire Arrow that is currently For Sale. Used for illustration purposes only.

Continuing on with our Craigslist Weekend, here is a 1979 Plymouth Fire Arrow, which was a JDM Mitsubishi Lancer Celeste. At the time this car was on sale it was the quickest Chrysler offering… Think about that for a moment, as 1979 was probably the darkest year for the entire Chrysler lineup. The Fire Arrow was only offered for two years, so how many do you think survived?

According to the listing:

1979 Plymouth Fire Arrow, very rare car. Made by Mitsubishi. 2.6L 4cyl, rear wheel drive, factory disc brakes, less than 1000miles on rebuilt motor. Auto trans. includes many extra parts including 5speed manual. Has a few problems but runs and drives. Body in good condition, older restoration.

Offered in Wisconsin, the asking price for this rare Japanese Coupe is $2,800. I know they are rare and very desirable, but do you think they can command a price like this? See the listing, and let me know what you think.

Hat tip to tempesjo (Thanks Man!)

1. Batshitbox says:

Boy did a friend of mine crash the bejeezus out of an Arrow Jet. I went to interview at the same college as him, only when I stopped by his place his room was empty. Then on the way back to campus I saw the wadded up Plymouth at the service station and just about shat myself. The mechanic assured me he had survived okay, though. I eventually found him in the room down the hall from his old one, woozy on painkillers. Said he reached for a tape cassette, went off the right shoulder, over-corrected, went off the left shoulder, spun, rolled, screamed, "I'm gonna die!" and then didn't.

2. OA5599 says:

I would have guessed the quickest 1979 Chrysler to be the 300, or if other Chrysler brands count, the Dodge Lil Red Express.

Unbelievable survivor, if the condition is really as good as it looks. They weren't built to last. Might be a good buy for someone really dedicated, but there's no way I'd consider coughing up that kind of coin for that.

4. Joe Dunlap says:

This, and its Mitsu cousins, were the first to market with balance shafts. It had been well known for years that 4 bangers much larger than 2.5 lires were almost impossible to tune the roughness inherent in 4 cylinders out of. The 2.6 with balance shafts was an incredibly smooth engine in its day, as smooth as any I6 or V8.

5. Tanshanomi says:

Wanted it as a teenager. Still want it now. No, I can't defend that position.

6. memikeyounot says:

In about 1980, my wif'e's grandmother passed and we went with her cousin and her husband to the funeral in the husbands brand new Plymouth FireArrow. I'm sure it wasn't a "hot " one like this. We had to drive about 250 miles round trip and it was like riding in a small steel barrel. Noisy, hot and I had to sit in the back with my wife. It was an awful ride!~

• Frere P. says:

MMYN-I think the regular one was an 'Arrow'. I think it's the 2.6 engine that makes this a 'Fire Arrow'. That Arrow you were trapped in was likely a 1.6 or 2.0, so with 4 passengers that must have been one slow ride.

On the up side 4 wheel disc brakes in this price class in 1979 was pretty much unheard of.

7. Jethrine says:

Born in '65… this was one of the cars I was telling my parents I would take.
    Picked up the brochures every time mom took her Aspen in for svc.
    Torn between this and the Arrow Jet.
    The "NO STEP" stickers of the Jet package were very attractive to a kid that hung out at the airfield.

8. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

I'd rather have an '84 Colt turbo w/a Twin-Stik.

However, there can't be more than this one Arrow in a condition this clean.

9. joshwebster84 says:

What a hideous piece of shit. This is certainly a car only a hardcore Hoon could love.

10. needthatcar says:

It would go so well with my '80 Arrow pickup, which has the exact same drivetrain.

11. safetystephen says:

It's very nice, but I'd prefer the later Starion or Conquest please.

12. Circuitguy says:

That same Craigslist Fire Arrow was purchased off of ebay last month for $1300.00!

13. Eddie echevarria says:

I have 79 arrow and have owned it since it was new. It was my graduation gift & I love this car. Mine only has 118 k on it & is in great shape, still cranks right up when I start it up. The old song me & my arrow applies. I love this car

14. guest says:

hah! check out this one, original paint still on the car too. Saw it at a rally in Pennsylvania this year….