Home » Cars You Should Know » Currently Reading:

A Different Kind of Survivor; The Story of a 1970 Plymouth Fury III

There was a time in which I was a contributor to the CarDomain Blog, and I still follow Rob Einaudi and Jen Dunnaway on their new blog Autoholics. One of the great things about their slice of the Automotive Blogosphere is the fact that they have access to an absolutely huge fan base, who create their own ride pages on CarDomain. However, one of the most interesting stories just appeared on Autoholics this past Monday, and Author Paul Balze takes the reader on a journey of how a Sunfire Yellow 1970 Plymouth Fury III 4-Door Hardtop survived all these years after it’s near fatal accident.

This Plymouth Fury III is really nothing remarkable for the period, equipped with a 318 CID V-8, Torqueflite Automatic, power steering, air conditioning, even the optional bumper guards on the front and rear bumpers. The mileage only shows 38,574 from new. But eight years after the birth of this rather ordinary Plymouth, it was involved in an accident that heavily damaged the front stub frame (pushing it 12 to 18 inches to the left). destroying the front sheet metal, as well as the bumper and grille. The fan chewed up the shroud, bent a couple of its blades, but miraculously the radiator remained intact. It was a total loss… or was it?

It is a great story, and I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you to go read the entire article over at Autoholics. Be sure to drink in all the details that makes a good story great. It may not have been a remarkable Plymouth in its day, but I’ll bet you would just love to get your hands on it right now.

1. POLAЯ says:

Obligatory…

Oh, my, god. Jim, look at her butt. Its so big. *scoff* She looks like, one of those rap guys' gang cars. But, y'know, who understands those rap guys? *scoff* They only drive things like her, Because, she looks like a total bad ass, 'kay? I mean, her butt, is just so big. *scoff* I can't believe its just so long, its like, out there, I mean – gross. Look! She's just so … BIG!

[SIR POL-A-LOT]:….

• POLAЯ says:

I like big Fury's
      And i can not lie
      you other brothers can't deny
      That when a Fury drives in
      It lacks such taste
      and its looks are in your face
      you get sprung,
      want to pull out your tongue
      'cause you notice the butt
      was stuffed
      Deep in the sheet metal she's wearing
      I'm hooked and I can't
      stop staring

• POLAЯ says:

Oh Fury, I want to get in ya
        and take your picture
        My Hoons all tried to warn me
        but with that butt you got
        makes me wanna beep horny
        Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-bends
        you say you want to get in my hands?
        Well, use me, use me,
        'Cause you ain't got average groupy
        I've seen that suspension dancin'
        The hell with romancin'
        She's sweat, wet,
        Don't need to be going like a turbo 'Vette
        I'm tired of magazines
        Sayin' small butts are the thing
        Take the average Hoon and
        ask him that.
        She gotta pack much back

• POLAЯ says:

So, fellas! (yeah) Fellas!(yeah!)
          your wagons and camino's got the butt?
          (Hell Yeah!)
          Tell 'em to shake it!
          (shake it!)
          Shake it!
          (shake it!)
          Shake those handy, fill-able butts!
          Fury got back!

Fury got back!

• POLAЯ says:

I like 'em square, and big
            and pack you up when I'm throwing gig
            I just can't help myself, I'm actin' like an animal
            Now here's my scandal
            I wanna get you home
            And ugh, double-up, ugh, ugh
            I ain't talkin' bout Civics

'Cause silicone parts
            are made for toys
            I want 'em real thick and juicy
            So find that juicy double
            This Hoon's in trouble
            Beggin' for a piece of that Fury
            'cause I ain't in no hurry
            Small trunk econos
            Can't touch what she holds
            You can have them minivans
            I'll keep my cars like Flo Jo
            A word to the thick Cars You Should Know,
            I wanna get with ya
            I won't let other cars hit ya
            But I gotta be straight when I say I wanna
            Cruise Till the break of dawn
            Baby got it goin' on

• POLAЯ says:

A lot of Hoons may not like this song
              'Cause them punks like to
              hit it and quit it
              And I'd rather stay and play
              'Cause the Fury's long, and I'm strong
              And I'm down to get the friction on
              So, ladies! {Yeah!}
              Ladies! {Yeah}
              If you wanna role in my Fury {Yeah!}
              Then turn around! Stick it out!
              'cause this white boy's got to shout
              Fury got back!

Fury got back!

2. dukeisduke says:

I agree with the commenters over there that say it should be restored. Sure, photo document it, but fix it, and enjoy it. And yes, I do see the beginnings of rust in a few places.

3. dukeisduke says:

It looks like the driver pulled out into a one-way street without looking, and got nailed.

4. Tanshanomi says:

I don't get it. It's a twisted up, banged up car that doesn't drive properly. The cool thing about leaving it this way would be…um, what?

• RichardKopf says:

I agree. Keeping it this way makes no sense to me.

• echto says:

Its that it has been preserved for so long this way that is so interesting. It has untold stories.

• RichardKopf says:

It's begging to be fixed.

• echto says:

Id keep it that way. Its just another old Fury when its fixed (Not even a good one. 58 fury is the only interesting one.) In this state its way more interesting.

• RichardKopf says:

Another old Fury is OK with me. I cannot tell you the last time I saw one in the rust belt. Now, to get myself down-voted further, I will state that had this happened to a `69 Camaro, I would be OK with it being left this way. Funny how that works.

• Mad_Hungarian says:

And the stories will remain untold because we don't know what they are. The details of the accident have been lost, says the Autoholics piece. If there were an interesting story about the wreck, or if the driver was s*** faced drunk and this car became some sort of MADD object lesson, OK. But it's just a wrecked car that someone intended to fix and never got the proverbial "Round Tuit." Like any other unfinished project car, either someone should restore it, or let's part it out so other cars of its type can stay on the road, whichever makes the most sense.

5. CptSevere says:

I'll bet whatever that big ol' Fury ran into years ago looked a hell of a lot worse than this.

6. skitter says:

I think it should be fixed just enough to drive properly; it does sound like he's having a lot of fun with it.

7. C³-Cool Cadillac Cat says:

Wow. This brings back childhood memories!

My mom had a green one of these, 318, A/C, power goodies, bought new in '70.

Sold it with the '73 'oil crisis', but I miss that car. It was cool. I loved playing with the AM radio, and the switches on the left side of the dash fascinated me, for some reason. The A/C was so cold, it blew ice crystals under certain conditions.

Also…hood or fender sentinels…FTW!!!!