Home » Car Shows » Currently Reading:

2012 Greenwich Concours: The Show

Kamil Kaluski June 4, 2012 Car Shows

The thing about the Greenwich Concours is that they are more limited in space compared to some of the other concours that I have attended. It therefore seems to me that they select specific cars. This also means that each year the show is different and that’s a good thing. I am not even sure what this year’s theme was, or even if there was one (how’s that for proper reporting), and while I was there only on Sunday (Saturday was American car day), I did enjoy it very much. Except for one thing…

Typical for the show such as this were the Rolls Royces, Ferraris, and Astons, but I was more attracted to the Saabs, Citroens, Lotueses, and Alfas. The most dramatic car of the show had to be custom one-off based on a 1930’s Phanton III. It was massive with a lot of interesting details. Actually, it’s surprising to see how massive all of those 1930 luxury cars were. The car I liked the most – the four door Aston Martin Lagonda.

There was a Bonhams auction going on while I was there. I went over to the tent where a rather rude lady told me that I needed to buy a $40 auction program in order to attend the auction. I was expecting that, as they used the similar scheme last year to keep out riff-raff such as myself. I showed the lady my press badge (which I did not have last year) and she answered “everyone has one of those, if you want to go you’ll need to buy the program”. I looked at her, I peeked into the tent, got overwhelmed with the pretentiousness, and left.

All images: Copyright 2012 Hooniverse/Kamil Kaluski

1. longrooffan says:

Wow…absolutely beautiful vehicles…as I commented earlier…you are a lucky boy…

2. muthalovin says:

Kamil, sometimes you just need to knock someone out. Either that, or just go in anyway, and if security shows up, play dumb. That is how I roll: dummy-style.

3. e46christopher says:

A few quick thoughts:
    1. Stunning cars. Really, some are art.
    2. There are a lot of people who can spend more on one car than I will make in my whole life.
    3. I think I would find the pretentiousness overwhelming, as well.

4. Stu_Rock says:

The Rolls-Royce Phantom III Labourdette Vutotal Cabriolet (pics 44 and 65) blows my mind. I still haven't decided if I love it or hate it.

5. Number_Six says:

How do the Lancia Fulvia and 1969 Alfa Romeo GTV project so much aching perfection out of such a basic design? HOW???

6. mr. mzs zsm msz esq says:

I have convinced myself that the lack of Volvos was that the invited owners decided to drive to St. Louis instead. Also you are good photographer Kamil, thanks!

7. SVT2888 says:

Really don't like how all the cars are roped off.

• Kamil_K says:

That bothered me last year, but I learned to deal with it now. The funny part is that inside the roped off areas owners sit and have their picnics while all the commoners are walking around. :)

Beautiful selection and photography. But some of those cars seem poorly chosen, considering the stellar overall quality. The Ferraris especially seemed to miss the mark quite a bit, though there were some outstanding cars.

9. Raphael Orlove says:

I talked to that Lagonda owner for a bit – it was his third! It was actually the very last Lagonda brought into the US, an '89 car. I don't know what was more opulent, the blood red carpets, the stocked bar in the back, or the fitted purple leather luggage in the trunk. He really loves that car.

10. Charlie says:

I was a participant in the Sunday show. The ropes are a good thing especially after having shown at other events without ropes. Many times children are not supervised as well as they should be. After laking the grounds at another show I returned to find a small child banging on the fender of my car!