Home » Weekend Edition » Currently Reading:

Hooniverse “Are These Cars Still Selling?” Weekend – The GM 360s (Trailblazer, Envoy, Saab 9-7X)

Jim Brennan November 13, 2011 Weekend Edition

When I was putting this story together, I thought you all would like to see how the GM 360s have been selling including the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, the GMC Envoy, and the remaining Saab 9-7X models. Well I did uncover the fact that the Saab Dealers did sell 102 Saab 9-7X models for the year, but I’ll be damned if I can find the chart anywhere.

This is a quick posting… Do you believe these models, discontinued at the end of the 2009 model year, are still logging sales?. Chevy dealers sold 33 Trailblazers this year, while GMC Dealer delivered 5 Envoys. They were not broken down by sub-grouping like Trailblazer SS, or Envoy Denali, but when you move 140 old GM360s in 2011, you have to wonder what kind of a deal the new owners got.

Would you ever consider one of these older SUV’s if the price was right?

1. craigsu says:

Funny, I was just looking at 9-7X's over at carmax.com before coming here. Some really great deals to be had on these, particularly with the 5.3L V-8. First thing I would do with one would be to source the Trailblazer emblem, change it to Trollblazer and stick it on the vehicle.

2. Van Sarockin says:

9-7 is the best Trailblazer, FWTW. Just like the 9-2 is the best Imprezza. Especially if you're not paying list. I had a client with a Trailblazer, and he couldn't say enough good things about it, so I guess it's decent.

• Alff says:

Curious why you deem the 9-2 the best Impreza? IIRC, they were somewhat softly suspended and down a hair on power. They were a bit rare, though. That alone would make it fun to have one.

• pj134 says:

The 92x was the same as any other Impreza wagon and the aero was the same as a WRX power wise. I'm not sure about the suspension, but that is easily fixable. I'm not sure if you are, but you may be referring to the materials used in the rear suspension, but that was a wagon vs sedan difference, not Saab vs Subie.

• Alff says:

At one time I was in the market for a WRX. Had to go back and find the 92X – WRX compo from those days.

You're right – same power but the Saabaru was a bit slower due to the extra weight (largely in the form of sound-deadening) that Saab put in. Saab also tuned the suspension to make the ride more "Saab-like". The reviews I read at the time felt that the result was a tad less performance oriented.

• FuzzyPlushroom says:

For me, that's a fair compromise. They're certainly more attractive, too, although I do have a thing for bugeyes.

Apparently, though, the 9-2x lacked Night Panel, and the seats are probably Subaru fare as well. Sigh…

3. Alff says:

Okay, Jim. Where can I buy a brand new 1980 Mazda 626 coupe?

4. blueplate says:

Wow, interesting stats.

The way some dealers seem to handle this is if a model is discontinued and they still have one or two stragglers, is to move them over to the "Used Car lot". Sometimes, they'll even title the vehicle so it truly it is a used-car; other times, they just move it over to the used-car lot while it's still on the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin– and hence not even truly a used car.

Sidebar: M.S.O. is the legal doc (in the USA) for a new car before it's titled. And that's how you sometimes see a ten- or twenty-year-old "new car" still held by a dealer, like the Buick GNX that was still unsold until 2009 (link). Sometimes I wonder if some really serious car collectors "buy" a vehicle from a dealer and leave it on MSO without titling, registering or insuring it… but, of course, you couldn't drive it on public roads without a Dealer plate, and it would be illegal.

Any car-dealership types.. feel free to set me straight if I've gotten any of this wrong… and I'm not a lawyer…

• chrystlubitshi says:

I would, personally, have held a GNX in the back room on a lift, starting it up and running it daily for a few minutes (maybe totaling an hour a day) and put modern tires on it, never selling as used… and never selling it until 2030.. but the GNXs were new shortly after I was born.. and dealership was waaaaaaaay out of the question for me at the time (and currently)

hindsight is less valuable that foresight….. stupid glasses.

5. PrawoJazdy says:

I work for a GMC dealer and according to YTD sales, not a single Envoy has been sold since Nov 2010. However, Demo and shuttle models get sold as a new car, so that might be what you're seeing.

We starting to see '09 models coming off lease and we buy them as soon as we can for the used lot. A certified one with 30K or less on it will fetch $26K all day long. Denali's usually fetch about $28K. People miss these BOF haulers. These buyers hate Terrain and Acadia. Believe it or not, the Envoy was functional to the hunter where the Acadia gets a little rusty off road.

• TurboBrick says:

If only General Motors had a division that would concentrate on Commercial vehicles, which are built a bit more rugged for uses other than going to the mall…

• Max K. says:

I work for a used car website selling vehicles in New England (Mojo Motors) and the resale value on the Trailblazers and Envoys are crazy good. An 06 Envoy with almost 80,000 miles can still rake in over $13,000. An 05 Trailblazer with 85,000 miles can get nearly $10,000.

6. micturatedupon says:

As a recent buyer of a Saab 9-2x Aero(I've driven several WRX's of each generation as well), I can vouch that the 9-2x is the best WRX of that generation – provided you do not want the fastest option. Go find an STI;)

The 2006 Aero is the preferred choice, with the 2.5l vs. the 2.0l, but those are rarer then hen's teeth(less than 500 made), and command at least a 30% price premium, as people seem to know what they have on their hands. Needless to say, I bought a 2005;)

The engine is exactly the same – yes, you lose a few tenth's of a second when it comes to 0-60 times, but unless you are drag racing, that doesn't matter much(and if you want to drag race, your choosing the wrong car to start with anyways). As a bonus, you get the quicker steering rack from the STI. Makes the car a blast to drive on San Francsico streets.

The suspension is tuned a *touch* more for comfort, but I do not feel that it loses any handling points at all – it just makes it more livable on daily basis. An old friend's WRX made you feel beat up after a long mountain drive.

Sadly, yes, the signature Saab touches such as center ignition and Night Panel are not present. However, there are just enough unique items to differentiate it from a regular WRX: More sound deadening(helps quite a bit), aluminum suspension arms, unique Enkei wheels, unqiue two-tone seats(in shape as well as material – these as well as the door panels were designed in Sweden), unique door panels(more ergonomic, covered in white leather). It also includes Saab's whiplash protection system(whoop-de-do). Exterior-wise, the front fenders, grille, bumper, hood(including more discreet scoop), hatch, and head/tail-lights are all unique. The only sheetmetal shared is the doors, roof, and rear quarter panels. In fact, aside from those in-the-know, no one has ever guessed my Saab for a Subaru.

All in all, it's a great commuter car, it's discreet enough that Civic's don't want to race me, I get a decent amount of cred from my co-workers, including my Range Rover-driving boss(who frowned on my previous Subaru), and best of all, the ladies think it is a nice entry-level luxury car. Top top it off, you get Subaru-level reliability, and Subaru-level parts pricing. All-in-all, possibly the best car 10k could buy me:)