Home » eBay Insanity »For Sale »Wagon Wednesday » Currently Reading:

Hooniverse Wagon Wednesday – A 1958 Chevy Brookwood Wagon

Welcome to another Wagon Wednesday here at Hooniverse. I actually wanted to highlight this particular wagon this week because when I was growing up, we actually owned a 1958 Chevrolet Brookwood Wagon, only ours was 2-tone green instead of 2-tone blue and white. Our was equipped with a 283 CID small block V-8, with a 2-speed powerglide, and that was just about it. No A/C, No Radio, and No Power Steering. We only got rid of it because it was so rusty that it became unsafe. So if you would indulge me, let’s discover this 1958 Chevrolet Brookwood Wagon…

The entire Chevrolet Lineup was all new for 1958, with a new frame, new bodies, new coil spring rear suspension, larger V-8 engines, and a new top-of-the-line model called the Impala. On the Station Wagon side of the ledger, there were four different wagon offerings, and for the first time, they had their own names. Starting at the top of the chart, there was the Nomad (which was now a trim offering in 4-door form instead of the stylish 2-door wagon from 1955-57), The Brookwood in six or nine passenger guise, the Yeoman 4-door six or nine passenger wagons, and the Yeoman 2-door basic wagon. You could also get a 2-Door Sedan Delivery, but that’s really not a wagon, right?

There were 5 Different V-8 options as well, and the period brochure states that you can get any engine in any of these wagons. That includes the new Turbo Thrust 348cid V-8 with a 4bbl Carburetor that produced 250HP, The Super Turbo Thrust 348cid V-8, with three 2bbl Carburetors that produced 280HP, The Turbo Fire 283cid V-8 with a single 2bbl Carburetor that produced 185HP (The most Popular Engine Choice for 1958), Super Turbo Fire 283cid V-8 with a 4bbl Carburetor that produced 230HP, and the Ramjet Fuel Injection 283cid V-8 that produced 250HP. You could also choose the 235cid Blue Flame Six that produced 145HP.

This particular Brookwood Wagon is a little light on which engine is under the hood, but it looks like one of the two carburetor fed 283 V-8s, and the Automatic looks like a Powerglide. It was restored, and has a newer base coat/clear coat finish in the original color. It is not entirely authentic because some Nomad outside trim, and interior fabrics were used during the restoration, but it still looks great. I feel that the aftermarket radio under the dash looks hideous, and if you want to put in a modern convenience, how about a vintage A/C system?

With a little over 5 days to go as of this writing, the highest bid is $8,180.80 with an unmet reserve. I see this wagon reaching close to $20,000, but I could be wrong. What do you think its worth? See the eBay listing here.

1. muthalovin says:

That radio install is terribad. Seriously, if you are going to put in a deck in something like this, put it in the glovebox and keep the dash original and clean.

This Brookwood is pretty damn clean, and it will probably go for what Jim predicts. Not my cup of wagon for that, though.

• Devin says:

To his credit though, he didn't cut a hole in the dash. A guy could easily take it out and you'd never be able to tell it was there.

2. $kaycog says:

The interior is just lovely. I agree about the radio. I thought you could get modern radios to look and fit exactly like the original ones.

3. dukeisduke says:

Why do people insist on putting those chrome eyelids on the headlights? Stupid. And yes, it could use a period Cool Pack air conditioner, instead of the aftermarket radio.

4. CptSevere says:

Real nice wagon. Aftermarket valve covers and such on the engine, but that doesn't bother me. Yeah, I'd hide the stereo, and send the original radio off somewhere to get repaired. It might just need the tubes replaced, no big deal. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it has a Powerglide. My '65 Malibu SS had that transmission, and I didn't like it.

5. yellofury says:

quick save this before it gets donked!!

6. tonyola says:

I just can't get into the '58 Chevy in any way, shape, or form. It looks puffy, heavy, and surly. I'd even take a '59 batwing wagon over this.

• longrooffan says:

Okay, tomorrow I'm gonna capture some images of that '59 batwing longroof for sale just two blocks away here in the Mile High City…however, it does possess chrome reverse wheels…

• dukeisduke says:

A friend of mine once had a '59 Kingswood, white with a blue interior, with a 283 and Powerglide, and Cool Pack A/C. He paid $150 for it, then a couple of years later a drunk rear-ended while it was parked on the street. It didn't *look* that bad in the back, but the impact jammed the rear doors so they wouldn't open, and broke loose the motor and transmission mounts. The guy's insurance co. totaled it, and gave my friend $350. Not a bad deal for driving it for two years and spending almost nothing on it except for oil changes and tune-up parts.

7. mdharrell says:

One of my brothers had a '58 Delray four-door sedan in that same shade of blue and with the same interior. It was an okay car. He kept it from the "Hey, '58 Chevys are hideous" period up to the "Hey, '58 Impalas are cool" period, but not all the way to the "Hey, '58 Chevys are awesome" period we seem to be in today.

(Sorry, that's all I've got on this one.)

8. OA5599 says:

I'm not sure who else noticed, but we apparently have a Wagon Wednesday success story from two weeks ago.
    . http://hooniverse.com/2011/08/03/hooniverse-wagon
    It looks like it went for considerably less than Jim's prediction of $80K. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V

9. Mad_Hungarian says:

That is beautiful, and begs to be driven and enjoyed. That would be a great road trip car — once you fix the speedo and gas gauge. Having both of those inop would drive me batty in about two days of ownership.

10. If I lived somewhere sunnier and were to daily a wagon like this I would probably hook up a stereo like that too. Putting it in the glovebox is stupid for something I'd be driving regularly, I'd leave the stock unit in for originality's sake, and if I had to sell it and take out the new stereo it wouldn't be tough.

11. Ed C. says:

I've heard of a few folks who did not like the Powerglide in the '58 wagon, for what reason, I don't understand. Being that there were 3 transmissions available that year(standard, Powerglide, and Turbo Powerglide), I'd rather have the automatic, being without power steering, the manual would drive like a truck(most big cars of the late 50s did). The Turbo Powerglide had a lot of problems. My uncle had a '58 Bel Air when I was a kid. I believe it had a 348 under the hood, because it did not sound like any other '58 I rode it. I remember it had dual exaust, in which I belive were factory, and it sounded like it was ready for the track.