Home » Morning Qualifying » Currently Reading:

Morning Qualifying – In The Pits edition

The Talbot-Lago pits at the 1951 German Grand Prix.

We feature a lot of photos and video clips of racing action here at MQ.  But real motor sport fans know races are frequently won and lost in the pits.  Let’s take a look over the pit wall.

Carroll Shelby directs traffic during the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans; Photo by Dave Friedman/©Ford Motorsport Archives

When the race was on the line, Sir Stirling sometimes helped with the gas. Photo by David Phipps/©Sutton Images

Tony Bettenhausen in the pits during the 1957 Indianapolis 500.

You take your lighting sources where you can get them. The Lancia works team parc ferme during 1968 San Remo Rally.

1. $kaycog says:

Ah, yes, Le Mans 1965, an unsuccessful attempt for Shelby and the GT40. The next year was an entirely different story. :)

Neat pictures!

2. CptSevere says:

I always wear a suit and tie when I work on a Lancia. Shows class. Hey, you've gotta have the look.

3. engineerd says:

I don't always help in the pits, but when I do I'm a gas man. Stay racing, my friends.

4. dmilligan says:

A very nice collection of pictures, and not douchey at all. Well done!

5. DrJomamachubby says:

I don't know about you other shade-tree wrenchers here but seeing that a hammer is the only tool at the ready in the shot with Moss warms my heart.

• Van Sarockin says:

The wheels are knockoffs, so you need a brass-headed hammer for them. Moss is assisting due to regs about number of mechanics allowed over the pit wall and touching the car at any given moment.

• mdharrell says:

Many brass alloys are a bit hard for this, particularly since the knockoffs themselves are so often brass, which means the preferred traditional approach is copper- and rawhide-headed hammers (although some people swear by lead). I decided to try one of those long slip-over levers instead and was happy with it.