Home » AutoTrader Find of the Week »For Sale » Currently Reading:

Hooniverse Truck Thursday – Two Dodge Sweptside Pickups

Welcome to Hooniverse Truck Thursdays where I troll around the internet in search of finding something interesting and bring it to your attention. Today, it’s a two-fer from the same dealer. We have a 1958 and a 1959 Dodge D-100 Sweptside Pickups, but they are both very different. Are either of these finned wonders Hooniversalustworthy?

Truck number one is a 1958 Dodge D-100 Sweptside that underwent a 2 year frame off restoration, and is finished in classic Aqua and Black. According to the listing:

1958 Dodge-D100-Sweptside . Custom Cab with big back window. Extremely rare Dodge Fin Truck. Only made for 3 years from 1957-1959. Powered by a 1958 315 Super Red Ram Hemi mated to a Powerflite transmission. A 2 year rotisserie frame off restoration. Tritone factory color. Every nut and bolt replated and in correct factory finish. Powder coated frame with all suspension parts plated as well. All steel fins. Correct interior. Original guages. Coker tires with period correct Kelsey Hayes chrome spoke wheels. Less than 1000 miles since restoration. Arguably the finest 1958 D100 available.

I like the colors, and the wire wheels really set it off. The asking price for what is arguably the finest Dodge Sweptside? Try $70,000! Go here to see the listing for yourself.

Truck number two is a 1959 Dodge D-100 Sweptside but this one has been modified a bit, with a later model 383, and a Torqueflite transmission, and a Volaré (!!!!) front end. According to the listing:

1959 Dodge-D100-Sweptside Deluxe Cab. Extremely rare Dodge Fin Truck. Only made for 3 years from 1957-1959. Powered by a 1960 High Performance 383 mated to a 727 trans with late model Volaré front end. Body off restoration. All metal, brackets, screws etc. media blasted and recoated to better than factory specs. All steel Fins. Modern gauges. Less than 1000 miles since restoration. Quite possibly the nicest 1959 D100 available.

This is the last year for the finned wonders, and the seller states that this is possibly the finest 1959 version of the truck, but I am put off by the 70′s era steering wheel, and the Volaré front end. This looks more authentic from the outside with the Red/White two-tone, but with the asking price of $39,000, I would want more authenticity. Go here to see this listing.

So what are your thoughts on these 50′s finned monsters. Are they worth the asking price? Would you want to own one of them? I’m sure you have many comments…

Image Source: Classic Cars West, San Francisco

1. muthalovin says:

Dude. Both of these do it for me. Price? That is a lot of scratch.

Anyway, in addition to t-tops for my F-150, I think I need fins as well.

2. Number_Six says:

On the outside these are two of the sexiest trucks I've ever seen. But the choices each owner made during restoration are puzzling. Why modern gauges? They look ridiculous and totally put me off. That red steering wheel is like ribbons and bows on a pitbull. Volare front end? If you're going to mess with the underpinnings, why not build in some modern handling? Having said that, if I had the money to buy one of them, I'd have the money to fix what I didn't like.

3. JeepyJayhawk says:

Very clean, awesome trucks, I'd love to cruise around in them… but that's a crack price.

4. longrooffan says:

70 large is a lot of money, even for one of the most beautiful trucks of the era. If I had to choose one over the other and money was no object, I'd go with the 58, even though I was born in 59. Why my fellow Hoons ask? Push button transmission For The Win!

5. P161911 says:

I like the colors and outside look of the Red truck, but don't like the custom touches on it. I'm still torn on $70k for the black truck. It is a finned 1950s Mopar with an early Hemi and appears to be in 100% condition. I would love to have the black one, just without the wire wheels.

6. ZomBee Racer says:

oooOOooo… Desoto-trucks! (That's what we used to call them when we were kids).

I wouldn't mind the Volare front end, which used to be a real popular swap for the old straight axle trucks, and at least it is still Mopar through and through. Gives a comfy ride and torsion bar suspension is easy to raise and lower. *Hint* Make sure you jack up the front end and relieve the weight before adjusting, lest you strip out the adjusting screws. (whistles and looks skyward. Note to self, STILL need to replace that)

But you are right, there is NO reason to reuse the Volare steering wheel. That's just wrong.

I think the red truck is about 10k too high to attract anything but the most serious collector, which may suit the seller just fine. The black truck is way out of my league. Even in I had the money, I'd be much happier with a barn find.

Nit-picking aside, this was a great visual treat! Score another homerun for Hooniverse!

7. CptSevere says:

These rival the Chevy Cameo for most awesome truck of the fifties, I mean just look at them. The black truck is magnificent, down to the pushbutton trans. The red truck has been bastardized too much for what they're asking, of course, but I still would love to have it. But, yeah, the cheezy steering wheel has got to go and those gauges look like the dog's lunch.

8. dmilligan says:

Dodge versions of the Chevy Cameo? I'd never heard of them until now. These mooks want too much money for them unless you're a collector with über-bucks to piss away. They look cool though.

• dukeisduke says:

Supposedly (what I read in the Standard Catalog of Pickup Trucks) the fins and taillights are from the Dodge station wagon – the '56 model I think.

I thought the red-and-white one would be cool, until I saw how it had been butchered.

• UDman says:

Actually, they were 1957 Two Door Station Wagon Rear Fenders. The Chevy Cameo Carrier was introduced in 1955, and this was Dodge's response 2 years later. The Chevy was discontinued during the 1958 model year, while Dodge continued for 1959.

• dmilligan says:

I looked at the red and white one again, and you're right – a real hack job on the bed.

• dukeisduke says:

Well, I didn't mean that it was a hack job, but I guess in a way it's a factory hack job. The bumper is also from the station wagon, BTW.

I'm looking at my Standard Catalog of American Light Duty Trucks (1st Ed., 1987), and unfortunately, they don't break out production numbers for Sweptlines for '57 and '58, just six vs. V8 and short vs. long wheelbase. No production numbers at all for '59.