Home » In General » Currently Reading:

Florida’s Best: the Extra Terrestrial Vehicle

Alex Kierstein June 2, 2010 In General

No, that’s not a 15′ long replica of a Microsoft optical mouse. Nor is it an acid-induced photochop. The Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle is the brainchild of Mike Vetter (a noted Florida builder of custom “supercars” and, strangely enough, a Gemballa-modified Carrera GT), and its for sale now on eBay in a delightfully gut-churning shade of red.

Be thankful this image isn't larger.

Eschewing the more traditional VW Type 1 pan situation, the “sporty” ETV is built around a (I’m not even making this up) Chevy Aveo’s Cobalt chassis and engine, which is as far as I can tell completely bone stock. At approximately $22,000 more than a bare-bones 2010 Corvette, it doesn’t exactly take a financial planner to tell ya this is possibly the worst value in recent memory.

To paraphrase Shelley,

And on the wretched fender these words appear:
“My name is Mike Vetter, king of kustoms:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that enormous POS, bloated and gaudy
The lone and level suburbs stretch far away.

And, despair ye shall: Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle on eBay Motors

1. longrooffan says:

Even though this is less than 50 miles from me, and I love a road trip, there is no f*cking way I am going to go see this in person. Hopefully, my 15 year old daughter will be a grandmother before this is uniformly accepted as automobile styling. But then this olelongrooffan also chose the '58 Pontiac Pace Car.

2. dwegmull says:

When I saw the first picture I questioned the "kill it, kill it with fire", then I looked at the second picture and thought: " well, this is certainly an acquired taste, maybe it's not horrible in person, however I would not kill it" but then I spotted "Aveo" and the part about being way more expensive than a Corvette and killing with fire seamed like a good solution.

3. Alff says:

Does it leave a slimy trail as it slowly moves down the road?

4. tonyola says:

I think it's kind of neat in a scifi way, though it's not practical and I wouldn't pay serious money. I sort of like the color too.

• smokyburnout says:

I thought it was kinda neat too, but then I looked at the eBay listing and saw that it still had the Cobalt's interior, and the (now impossible to reach) front-mounted front-drive Cobalt drivetrain.
      At least "it can check tire preasure for you automatically."

5. SirNotAppearing says:

I've seen this elsewhere, possibly on Jalop, in silver. The roof is finished in a classy clitoris design.

6. dmilligan says:

Nuke it until it glows and shoot it in the dark.

7. Han_Solex says:

DAMMIT! I forgot to include the following tag: "Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

8. rovingardener says:

Is this guy related to Craig Vetter, the fairing fellow?

If so, the epoxy has had a nasty effect.

9. Number_Six says:

I am going to take my $260million powerball winnings and use it shoot this, its maker, and Celine Dion into space. Then it will truly be extra terrestrial.

10. CptSevere says:

The thing is so hideous I can't stop looking at it. Good thing it's not brown.

11. dukeisduke says:

I'd like to see it in a crusher.

12. Mike_the_Dog says:

Good God that thing's hideous! After the ridicule we heaped on the silver one he built some time ago, I'm kind of shocked that he went ahead and built another one.

13. Anyone else notice that the dash is vertically 2/3 of the windshield?

14. Ambersand says:

It looks like a giant Goldfish cracker. I must see this up close. I'm actually intrigued!

15. muthalovin says:

Okay, as some of you may, or may not know, I am originally from Roswell, NM. I am POSITIVE I could get the local bank to give me a loan for that egregious amount. I could pay the loan off in no time by giving tourists rides around town. I would have to upgrade the windows to bullet-proof, however.

16. Alff says:

Han, you're attributing the wrong Shelley for this monstrosity.

• joshuman says:

It took me a moment but then Mary came to mind. Mary leads to Percy. I think Percy wrote a story or a poem about a woman eating wallpaper and going crazy (or was she going crazy from eating the wallpaper). Anyway, I figure you'd have to like to eat wallpaper to be crazy enough to buy this hideous vehicle.

17. engineerd says:

I'm all for pushing the bounds of design. We all complain that cars are getting more and more boring. However, some boundaries aren't meant to be crossed.

Though, you'll never mistake your car for another Cobalt.

18. From what I see, its biggest crime is being a base Cobalt underneath. It might be more interesting with 260hp moving it. The shape isn't completely offensive to me, other than the huge intakes to nowhere, and it's definitely different. Like 'neerd said, everyone complains about nothing being original any more. This car has originality in spades, and it'd damn sure draw a crowd. The only problem with that would be telling people what it really is when they come to look at it.

19. rotaryhead says:

Notice what he says on the eBay page: "So many cars and motorcycles give the thumbs up, or just plain yell something." I wonder what that something is?

20. I think you have to be a useful writer but you should always put your personality in your posts. You can have nice content but if it isn’t written well people won’t continue to read it. Jenny

21. Betsy Markey says:

This is a fantastic place I can’t believe that I didn’t find it already.