Home » For Sale »Nostalgia » Currently Reading:

That’s How We Roll

Tim Odell October 15, 2009 For Sale, Nostalgia
4 left over crest, Jeeves

4 left over crest, Jeeves

…or more accurately, that’s how we would roll if we had $230,000 to drop on a Roller.

Hemmings inaccurately titles this the “Find of the Day”. More like find of the millenium. Unfortunately, those cruel elitist bastards only saw fit to grant us one picture of this 1970 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow that ran in the 1981 Paris-Dakar Rally.

From the auction listing, we learn it’s actually a fiberglass monocoque body on a classic 4×4 Toyota FJ Chassis with a Chebbie 350 backed up by a 4-speed. How many gallons is 400L? Because that’s how much gas it’ll carry.

Let no man, woman or child speak ill of yellow headlights on classic race cars. That they are the bees knees is a Universal (Hooniversal?) Truth.

Hit up the Hemmings blog for a little more backstory, or whip out your recently identity-thefted credit card and head over to the For Sale page.

1. Smells Homeless says:

If I had the money to buy this, I'd buy Jim Garner's Olds instead. Oh yeah, the Olds.

• CptSevere says:

I’ve seen pictures of that. ’69, that he drove in the Baja. I agree.

• CptSevere says:

Oh, man that Olds Cutlass, a ’69 or ’70, is (was) something else. I’ve seen the same picture in Hot Rod or something. It must have been something else, driving that in the Baja 1000. I defy anybody to say that James Garner is anything but a cool dude.

2. DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. citroen67 says:

Everything I could ever ask for in a car…top-notch luxury standards, and mad dune-hopping skills. Fuck me runnin’…I need to win the lottery.

4. Mike the Dog says:

Pretty sweet, but a quarter of a mil is pretty steep for an old ‘Yota with a Chebby engine, even with the Roller coachwork and the cachet of being one of 40 out of the 170 starters to finish (it apparently broke halfway through and was DQed, but finished anyway). That said, I’d love to drive it to fancy car shows and watch the snobs spit-take their Grey Poupon.

5. Dearthair says:

How about the Matchbox version?

6. Tomsk says:

Now all that needs to happen is somebody needs to build a fiberglass bodied Mercedes-Benz 600 replica on Land Rover Defender 110 chassis with a Ford 351W between the framerails. Oh, and find a way to equip an air raid siren as the horn.

7. JeepyJayhawk says:

Buy it and run Pike’s Peak or Baja! 105 gallons is a lot of fuel to be carrying around…

8. CptSevere says:

Ok, that’s hands down the most radical, baddest-ass Rolls Royce in the known universe, even if it is a Toyota with the same engine residing in my motorhome. The previous was Lawrence of Arabia’s, which was all Rolls.

Hey, how do I add an avatar?

9. Maymar says:

If I had the money to buy this, I’d hire Jamie Farr to chauffeur me around in it occasionally (he’s not busy).

• small_e says:

Jaime Farr’s got his women’s golf thing each year in Toledo, but otherwise, I think you’re right, I doubt his calendar is full. And I, too, had (rather unfounded) Cannonball visions when seeing this.

10. jeremy! says:

ive been searching around for a sub 1k roller for lemons. sadly, opulence still has a price.

• Katrina probably would have been your best bet. I bet you could pay less than ten Benjamins for an example that had a carport fall on it while submerged up to the door handles in salt water and pigeon shit.

11. Number_Six says:

Holy god. I just bought an idiotic $5 ticket to a new Canadian lottery. When I win, this will be open to drives up and down my new 5-mile drive.

~Six

12. CptSevere says:

Sorry about the double post. Took awhile for the Hoon rodents to post my babble. Thought they ate it. I’ll be more patient in the future.

13. "Sparky" P says:

(stares and dreams)

14. Bruno_JBSLima says:

Looked cool before I read the fiberglas/FJ thing. Not that that’s not good, it’s just that, if I’m getting a Rolls that looks as good as a silver shadow does, I’d rather go stock or get an original car and mod it. Definitely not kit car. And 230k for 400 liters of gasoline? Just say no!

15. superbadd75, enriched with vitamins and minerals. says:

Man, it looks freakin’ awesome! Then I read about it. Somehow it’s not as cool anymore, knowing it’s not all Roller, and the body’s not even authentic. For that kind of jack, one could buy, and build, any number of horrifying projects.

Let’s see if I can do a link here. First try.

• superbadd75, enriched with vitamins and minerals. says:

Ooh, that didn’t work. Well hell, no matter. Suffice it to say a quarter mil will buy you quite a few nuggets of joy.

16. Dr.Dangerously says:

I wonder how this would fare in the mountains of Chile.

17. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by therealautoblog, Nick. Nick said: Coolest rally car. EVER. RT @therealautoblog: Seriously, you can have your SVT Raptor. We'll take this: http://bit.ly/4kokXV [...]

18. LTDScott says:

Now I want to watch Cannonball Run II.

19. Armand4 says:

I can deal with the Toyota chassis, but this thing really ought to have the Six-and-Three-Quarter-Litre V8 under the hood. Torque is good!

20. Jules says:

HEY!!! It has my name on it…so …i guess it rightfully belongs to me!!

21. OK good to see- useful blogs are always sweet! See yas.